Ma.K. kits, what's the deal?

B

Black Sheep 1

OK guys I need some help with the whole Ma.K. genre.
What is Ma.K.?
I know it's some kind of sci-fi Japanese story thing, but what is it?
A Movie, book or anime series?

And what's the deal with the kits?
What little material I can read (as most of it is in Japanese) point to Hasegawa as the one who makes them but what I can find looks nothing like what I see on the forums.
I even find resin kits made by a company called Wave.
But now, how do I know the real kits vs the garage knock-offs?

Who makes the best Ma.K. kits?

Is there and source for these kits locally (USA)?
Are there any books or DVD's on building these kits?

I don't know if this has been covered before and if it has please forgive me as I could not find it.

It's what happens when a rivet counter discovers sci-fi. In my opinion MAK isn't really good sci-fi because you can identify the parts that make the whole, and the designs lack the science part of sci-fi. P-38 nacels, bike gas tanks, Saturn V engines, etc. Kinda ruins the illusion for me. Plus WWII nazi shemes on everything gets a bit bland after the first 10. There are some intersting designs, but they all are just cobbled together from other kits.

The origins were kitbashes in a magazine back in the 1980's. The a small comic strip featuring the bash of the month. But as to actual anime or books, none that I know of. Just designs. The rest is up to imagination.

Anyway, Mak, SF3d, whatever, has a pretty good following. The kits tend to be expensive for what you get though.

As an aside, Nitto, Wave, and Hasegawa all have MAK/SF3D rights. Wave is an excellent company producing some of the finest resin kits ever, not to mention their 'option' line and injected kits.

The LINKS to the Ma.K forum is plenty for you BS1... make sure you read the NEWBIE section... lots and lots to learn !

I don't get PINCHED with the details and just build them for fun... it takes me away from ( A.R.ness) !!! The whole thing is situated in a FUTURE earth "recolonization" after a major conflict.... don't get thinking it is like a LUFT46 style... its not !!! There is nothing German.esk about the whole thing either....

In deed the colour schemes are inspired, the Markings are what ever they had on hand when they were Scratch-building those models for the Magazine... and there are Power suits or human driven machines... and Drone machines... for all factions that make up the Ma.K universe....

you can build them and show them.... if you build by the book you call your stuff "Ma.k" or (canon) If you build your stuff as You see fit ! Paint it the way you like and Add gizmo-logy ! You now have to call it "Ma.K like" ! Those guys are very serious about their work ! and can be as A.R. (rivet counters) as Armour or Car modellers...

I build them for FUN cuz they are en-globing all the stuff I like... Choppers,Planes,Tanks, and so on.... you can make them as shinny or as grimy as you like !!!

it can become very expenssive.... if you look for kits that are long O.O.P !!! but newer kits are coming out and They are pretty cool to assemble ! So different form anything else that you might get the BUG ???

Just read up in the Ma.K forum and you will see HOW far some are pushing the Envelope !

You can take a look at Scott G. Melusine, or Ken's KETZER, or Mr.Natural Hornisse or even Mr.T Krote !!!

There must be something in there that Turns your Krank ???

Later dude !!!

Just take your time and Go for it ... you may never look at your models the same way ?? LOL

Latest posts

Back