M4A3E8 SMA Big Spring Contest 2011

Tanker52

Here is what I will be building for the 2011 SMA Big spring contest!!!
More to come on the progress of my build here soon.

[attachment deleted by admin]

This is a picture of the tank that I am building from the Korean War of the 5th Regimental Tank Company.

Contruction begins with the HVSS suspension bogey. The Hobby Boss kit captures the details nicely. Compare the pictures below.

Basic construction is about 90 percent done. The photo etch was a challenge and I think it turned out well. Just about all the kit parts fit together like a glove. There are some seam lines on the turret that I had to fill and still have to sand. I will post a video on my youtube channel, scalemodelrendezvou7, soon covering the construction.

Looking great. 90% complete is a really good place to be - and there's still lots of time.

Welcome to SMA and thanks for posting.

I'll be watching this one closely as I intend to do a 1/48 Sherman for next year's contest.....if I can wait that long :p

Looking pretty good Karl! Love the design too. Will be watching! ;D

The paint scheme certainly stands out. Are there decals for all of it or will there be some difficult painting ahead?

The kit comes with decals for the eyes and mouth. I am debating weather using them or not. The rest the tiger scheme I will have to paint. I have painted a tiger face before on a M24 Chaffee. I used a template for the tiger's teeth. So I might do something similar with the mouth of the M4A3E8.

Update on where I am at on my build....Easy 8 is primed and is ready for paint! I decided to paint the tiger face instead of using the decal. Before I start painting, I did a rough sketch with pencil to get an idea of how it would look and to put together a plan to paint this by hand. I am going to shorten the top of the mouth just a little. I think I have it too far up looking at the reference photo. I was thinking of making a mask for the teeth but may decide to do it freehand. :-\ I'm sure this is how the tankers did it in the field.

;D first coat of paint Tamiya olive drab mixed with buff 80/20 ratio and flate white. ;D

Latest posts

Back