M45 Pershing

Tanker52

I am converting my M26A-1 Dragon kit 6801 that I built many years ago into a M45 Pershing also known as the 105mm Howitzer Medium Close Support Tank (T26E2). The M45 Pershing was used by the 6th Tank Battalion 24th Infantry Division in the Korean War. The M45 seen action in 1950 on the Pusan Perimeter. There were a limited number of these tanks used in Korea.

So far I have removed the 90mm gun and replaced it with a 105mm gun from the M4A3 Sherman Tamiya kit. I have also removed the decals and started cleaning up the model. I have started lightly sanding the various area of the tank and fixing seam lines on the turret. I honestly can not remember the paint I used 10 years ago. I want to say its enamel. Since its been many years does it matter if I spray acrylic primer over the enamel paint?

100_5405.jpg

I have layered acrylics over enamel, It tends to chip a bit but as far as primer goes I beleive it is supposed to etch itself to the underlying surface. Thats what I understand from basic paint theory.

Thanks EHOG for the comment. I am still cleaning up the tank and when done I am going to give it a coat of acrylic primer.

Today I started scratch building of the late pattern exhaust / muffler. The only reference photos I found was from Gun Truck Studios M45 by Jim Lewis. My first step was to give myself a baseline to work from.
M45_exhaust_template.jpg

From here I am using copper tubing and evergreen tubing to build the muffler assembly. I cut each piece to its appropriate size.
100_5431.jpg
To close off the ends of the muffler I used wood dowel and super glued it inside the copper tube.
100_5430.jpg
Then I drilled a hole in the main muffler piece to attach the exhaust pipe. I added a bit of evergreen rod to give the super glue some surface area to grab to hold the pieces together.
100_5435.jpg
After test fitting the assembly, I need to construct a bracket to attach to the other end of the muffler assembly.
Using some scrap styrene from a sprue tree, I drill two holes and began scratch building the bracket.
100_5437.jpg
100_5439.jpg
After some clean up and sanding, I have a bracket.
100_5441.jpg
An explode view of the muffler / exhaust pieces
100_5444.jpg
Test fit of the components
100_5446.jpg
100_5453.jpg
I am very happy how this assembly turned out. Next step is to add a weld bead pattern to where the pieces attach and then attach the assembly to the muffler part of the tank.

Progress is slow but I am getting somewhere. Not having a good reference photo, I think my rough estimate of what this muffler looks like is coming out good. I added a piece of wire that will be inserted into a hole drilled through the kit part for placement and strength.
100_5463.jpg

I made two more mounting brackets and assembled the muffler to the kit piece.
100_5475.jpg

I used Aves apoxie sculpt to finish the contour muffler. Once this is cured, I will go back and do some sanding to shape it up a bit.
100_5479.jpg

Progress has been slow due to the track cleanup and construction. I did get one side finished. One more to go, hopefully it doesn't take me forever. Also as you can see I have put a coat of paint on main body of the tank and the exhaust area. I thinking of making a diorama with this tank crossing a river bed. I seen this scene is a Korean War documentary film.
M45_s.jpg
M45_sb.jpg

Thanks for the commit cargoman...

Did get some track building done this weekend. Almost finished. Here is a look at my progress. I am using Hobetac adhesive diluted with water, a 60% glue 40% water mix. Applying the mix with a brush, letting it set for 15 to 20 minutes, then it becomes tacky. This allows me to position the links and make changes before it drys. So far it has made construction easier. I was using Tamiya xtra thin cement, which works fine but less time to work with because it dries fast.

M45_s2.jpg

Tracks done!!!

Struggled to get the track to line up correctly. I had to remove the drive sprocket in order for the tracks to fit correctly.
I had to drill a new hole and add a plastic rod. This was a pain to do but worth it in the end.
M45_s3.jpg

Tracks aligned and the side skirt installed. I had to add a plastic sprue because there was a small gap in the skirt.
I am happy with my results!!!
M45_s7.jpg

Looking good! How is the paint holding up, I know you had some concerns at the begining.

EHOG said:
Looking good! How is the paint holding up, I know you had some concerns at the begining.

So far there seems no issues with the surface primer. I used Vallejo US Olive Drab surface primer, number 73.608.

Latest posts

Back