M113 and Academy US tank crew Vietnam

BeebleBrox

Next project will be a M113 on a dusty (redish) piece of road. Thinking of a simple vinjett.

I ruined the figures in this Tamiya kit years ago so I will use Academy figures instead. The Tamiya figures were not that good anyway.

image_zpspkptctey.jpg

image_zps8yqudkad.jpg

I will try to build a photoboth(?) with some styrofoam and magnettes (for quick assembly and saving space).
I think I got the idea from urumomo in this forum.

;D ;D

Ha ha --- it works really well . I just need a real camera now .
... and some better lights ..

Hot glue rules !
I so rarely use it but it's so handy .

I'll be watching your progress here for sure ,

Mo

Dirt and dust, thats is what I like.

The decals were missing so I had to airbrush the stars using old aeroplane markings as stencil (cut out with scalpel). Not that accurate cutting but some chipping and weathering covered it up.

Been using Tamiya colors (brown, yellow, olive green, white and black) and som Vallejo wash (brown).
Used a really thin mixture of brown, yellow and white to get the dust effect.

Will work with the details next (showels, lights, antennas etc).

image_zps1zz63ujw.jpg

image_zpst7xus3ma.jpg

image_zpsylt07o4y.jpg

image_zps3xaofyq0.jpg

image_zps7bnhiptb.jpg

image_zpsqohu8c8d.jpg

Btw, I usally clean workbench between builds but during build its pure chaos (which I enjoy).

The vehicle is done I guess?
To much dust?..headlights not good. Anything else? Take your swings ;)

image_zpssnsjpnxv.jpg

image_zpsminhdymp.jpg

image_zpslutcfzrp.jpg

image_zpssnsjpnxv.jpg

image_zps9kgxvehu.jpg

image_zpspypwbnqt.jpg

image_zpskpbbx7qp.jpg

Mars Patrol ! ;D

kinda monochromatic , but maybe it's just the photo .
Did you paint the tool handles etc ?

You evidently don't like the headlamps ?
... I can't really see 'em ..

Mars! Spot on:)

Its is kind of monochromatic, pastellish. Lots of dust.. I kind of like it. Painted shafts and such, hard to see though. The headlights were ok but i tried to fix what was working so.. Ill might do a third attempt later on.

Eager to see the crew .

I've never seen Academy figures ---- it doesn't take much to out-do Tamiya figs ::) , a fact I don't understand .
The two I'm using in my Sturmschildkrote dio are pretty dismal , but I've turned them around with a fair amount of sculpt-work and new heads .
at least their legs only needed basic clean-up ;)

I have assemblied the crew and basecoted them black. Im not able to get any good Pictures on them, need more light in my workspace. But, the sculpting is excellent, some miliput to get parts to fit (perfectly fine With me). No big problems with mold lines. Ill post some updates.

Ill need to improve my photoskills, atleast get a tripod and some extra light.

The crew with base skin color applied (vallejo dark skin and a drop of flat brown).

image_zpsstofazjt.jpg

image_zpst97frl5d.jpg

They do look good , I guess you're not using the civilian figure .

I need a completely different camera on my end .
I've discovered that it really hates an all white , bright background ::)
... . so luckily that photo-booth I threw together isn't at all WHITE . no , not at all ;D.

I didn't get much bench time yesterday so I really need to get some work done today 8)

Re: M113 and Academy US tank crew Vietnamu

I might use the civilian figure, right now im thinking of saving it up to civilian thing I have in mind. Watched a couple of tutorials about layering the paint when doing figures. Will try that technique this time.

This girl knows how to paint proper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hi6kc5gi9s

This is my attempt.. dam those transitions!
Ill guess that patience is key in this "layer on layer techinque" besides knowing how to thin the paints just right.

image_zpsqlyyh5md.jpg

You're off to a good start, keep er rolling, I say.

If you are going to use acrylics for figure painting it will take some time to learn the techniques of layering, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP3HCiHos_Q Some incredible work.

I've been an oiler for so long it would be futile for me to try to learn it and change in mid stream, as they say. There's so many guys out there who do it so well, but like anything else, it's a matter of practice, and more practice. I personally like the blending factors of oils and I recon I got it down with some degree of proficiency, so I'll stick with oils. You may want to try oils yourself. But in any case, it's a matter of practice and more practice.

There are quite a few guys doing SBS on Planetfigure.com in the VBench section, so give it a go, which ever medium you chose to perfect. But just remember, have fun at it and don't fret the little stuff, it'll come in time.

Cheers, Ski.

Thanks for the tips Steve!

I was considiring oils for a while when I was into Bill Horans work, bought some tubes but then I stopped modelling for 10 years or so. When I started again the Vallejo paint where new to the market (atleast to me). I really liked the quality and smell (yes, the smell). I think your right about practice and dont get hung up on little stuff. Right now I think if the figure looks good in 50 cm distance or more its fine. I hope I get some benchtime tonight, will work on the transitions. Thinking about putting I thin wash on the faces (will try on a test figure first).

Cheers!

A couple of pale guys straight from boot camp to a top secret mission on Mars.

A little bit better then last time I painted figures.
Next project i'll try to get more contrast and smother transition between the scales of colors.

image_zpsmrbhdawl.jpg

image_zpsmwl3dptk.jpg

image_zpsscphskst.jpg

image_zpsinwgwtrx.jpg

image_zpsb7w9s5rn.jpg

So, next step is finding some nice picture frame at some flea market and create a little redish road vinjette.
Will probably do some touch up on the figures.

Your right about the clean figures, Im thinking of air brushing the Figures with a very deluted dustcolor to get the same tone as the vehicle. Dont know if it will work or just be strange? There is a risk I totally mess it up :). Maybe I do weathering with brush? Any suggestion is welcome :)

I was going to say to try a wash - by brush - on only the flesh parts to darken them up and give more contrast .

... and maybe shrink the whites of the eyes a bit .

Latest posts

Back