Lulubelle ''Rodeo on Arkania'' - 2366

Thanks guys for your kind words.
@Gag : compared to your future Goliath airship, mine is just David !
@ModelMadMike : the main oval hull is about 9,5 cm diameter (3,74 inches). When finished, the measures will be 13 cm (large with wings / 5,11 inches), 8 cm (height / 3,15 inches) and 14 cm (long from the light to the spoiler / 5,51 inches).

Last part of building concerns the inside cockpit. I've been looking for a while for a conic dashboard. And I find this cooking stuff ! This is used to seperate the white from the yellow when you break an egg to cook a cake ! I could be used to make a aircraft roof by the way.

I just keep the conic round part and this needs to be ajust. That part is shaped with my Unimat lathe. No difficuty for that except to ajust the size to the hull. The hole is about 2,5 cm / 0,98 inche diameter. The bottom side is made with an aspirin tube. I just need an headache as well to finish the tube ...

All the plastic parts are ajusted and glued with epoxy glue. Several round screens and joysticks are added to control Lulubelle.

Next step : painting.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Looking cool!

Question about the lathe. Is that the Unimat 6 in 1 that I find on eBay for around $350? Yours looks to be a higher end model. Always wondered about those.

Thanks for your comments.

@Scott : you're right Jim, my lathe is a Unimat ML. The main parts are in metal and not PLASTIC as the UNIMAT CLASSIC. The price you mention is for this version compared to the metal version which is about 800 $ ! That makes a serious difference BUT the quality of the two kits are REALLY not the same. Before buying the tool, I saw both together and you can't make any mistake. The metal version is far better because when you built a lathe as I do, the machine becomes ''stronger'' than the other one and will cope with the vibrations. The electric engine turns at 20000 rpm and the drill is about 6000 rpm thanks to a reduction with a rubber belt / wheel.

Secondly, the ajustment between the different parts of the ''frame'' is more controlled with the metalic part than the plastic version.

Concerning the drilling, milling operations, the Unimat ML can cope with plastic, Evergreen, brass, aluminium. When working with plastic, be careful with the heat as it can damaged the part you are working on !

You can also built ONLY one machine on the frame as a drill OR a lathe OR a milling machine.

It's money but some stuff as I work on for the dashboard, it must has been more difficult and dangerous for my fingers to succede in creating this part .

So, 800$ for one finger off my hand, the choice is simple !!!

As Gag will say : PRIMER, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm !!!!!!

I choose an acrylic dark panzer gray for primer. This paint is perfect to unify all the added parts together and give a good strengh to the flying machine.

Lulubelle is appearing ...

I'd agree with Grendels!
THats really the moment when all the scratch-building work pays off.
Great job!

Thank you guys.

Here are some shots of Lulubelle with the final primer result.

Hairspray process will follow.

Georges.

Thank you guys.

Hairspray and chipping process. For an experimental test, the metalic gray is not the best color for that effect but it works!

Next step : gray paint.

It's time for the final paint and I choose an acrylic light gray for Lulubelle. By the way, a post-shading painting will complete the process.

This step will give some more contrast between all the panels and doors. Variations in tones is easy to create with the airbrush.

I airbrush a very light coat of Worn Effects fluid from AK on the hull before paint.

Gray is quite easy to apply and the color is shortly achieved.

Thank you for following.

The paint is removed gently with warm water and a brush. As the layer of HS has been very light, the effects are very small and it appears like a skin with just little spots and not chiiping effects.

Next step : decals.

Latest posts

Back