'Lobos' Viper *COMPLETED*

Afterburner

Gluing my fingers...painting my hand...
Been at this for a while now.So I thought I'd share.I hope someone finds it interesting! :p

Kit is the awesome Tamiya version of the F-16C Blk25/32 converted to a Blk 30 (GE engine,MCID)

A few things I decided to throw at it...

Aires wheel bays
Royal Resin wheels
Eduard goodies
Shawn Hull GE engine
Afterburner decals

I decided to get the hardest part of the build outta the way right out of the box...trying to get a seamless intake.I had read on other forums about using acrylic latex house paint.After a couple of days I decided to try using 'Kilz' primer/sealer...

After getting the Aires main wheelbay attached I started working to get get 4 pieces to look like 1...

PICT0006.jpg

After a few applications of 'Kilz'...

PICT0005.jpg

PICT0018.jpg

I think it turned out Ok for being my first time using it.I wish things went that way all the time.

I'll post more again soon.Comments welcome!

Re: 'Lobos' Viper WIP

good start. the one thing I did to save a lot of headaches with the inlet is to get Steel Beach's plugs. easy way to cover up the seams.

Ialarmu said:
great job on the air intake!!!!

Thanks Ialarmu!!

Ferris828 said:
Very cool!

Thank you Ferris!

WayneBt said:
good start. the one thing I did to save a lot of headaches with the inlet is to get Steel Beach's plugs. easy way to cover up the seams.

I did in fact grab a set...just in case! :p Thanks for looking!

Finished up the intake.I added the support strut and a small decal on the inside,and then the rest of the sub-assemblies on the outside.

PICT0021.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0066.jpg

Next up is the cockpit.Thanks for looking!

A few cockpit WIP pics..

PICT0008.jpg

PICT0001.jpg

PICT0002.jpg

PICT0010.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to check it out! God Bless!!

i was wondering if the oxygen tubing was with the kit or if you made it yourself if so what did you use it looks realy cool

ozzy59he said:
i was wondering if the oxygen tubing was with the kit or if you made it yourself if so what did you use it looks realy cool

Hey Ozzy...sorry it took so long for me to get back to you...And thanks for the comments!!

The O-2 tubing is actually something I did make myself... The first thing I did was get some soft wire the approximate diameter of the hose.

PICT0085.jpg

Then,I used a small sewing pin to wrap some very small diameter wire around.

PICT0086.jpg

After that was complete..I heated up the spring with a cigarette lighter to anneal the stiffness out of it.Removed the spring and then slipped it over the flexible wire,glued and painted it..

PICT0087.jpg

That's a sharp looking cockpit. Nice work.

that is a really great tip man thanks a bunch i will have to try it soon :D

Yes - great tip Afterburner. Thanks for sharing it, I've wondered how guys model details like that.

Very impressive work... I like your attention to details.... The air scoop finish is to die for! The cockpit is just nuts! Keep up the good work!

Norm.

Thanks for the comments guys... I'll post some WIP pic's soon!

Now that the cockpit is done..moving on to other things.

I picked up a GE F110 engine set from Shawn Hull (www.SHULL24.com). He's got some way cool stuff for modern jets.I have a couple of other things of his I'll be using on this build.The engine being the first.I can't say enough about this engine kit...the quality is awesome for the price and the finished assembly really makes a difference.I'll let the photo's do the talking.

PICT0057.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

PICT0058.jpg

A few more photo's:

PICT0061.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

I'll post more soon.Thanks for checking it out!

Preliminary test fitting:

PICT0084.jpg

Painting begins with the afterburner and flame holder.I painted the afterburner with a mix of gunmetal and pale burnt metal,followed by a dark wash with Phil Flory's Pro-modeller washes:

PICT0088.jpg

PICT0089.jpg

The flame holder ring is painted a mix using photo's from Jake Melampy's "The Modern Viper Guide" as reference.

Latest posts

Back