Liquid Masks

bushman32

I had a little problem using Hobbico's liquid mask. I applied a few coats of of Testor's Glosscote to a ship in preperation of weathering. This was allowed to cure for about a week, had to go back to work :mad:. I then applied liquid mask around the outer edge of the deck, as I was starting with the hull first. After working on the hull I removed the mask, and found that it had taken the Glosscote along with it. I tried reapplying Glosscote, but I have a ridge going all the way around the deck. I have covered this up somewhat with weathering. Has anyone else experienced this with liquid masks? :-\
Ron W.

I have been using Wissor and Newton liquid mask and I have had no problems with it once I have applied it to the model. The only real problem I have had is that I didn't close up the bottle well, and now it is almost a solid piece of latex.....But that is my fault.

I have used it with enamels and acrylics.

if your gloss coat was... Acrylic based.... and your Liquid MASK was also Acrylic based... it might have re-activated the Clear Coat and merged with it ??? I'm just speculating here....!

Rubber masks are not all made equal!!! the Newton one has a lot of Ammonia in it to prevent Mold
and make the bottle last a longer.... They all turn into a Solid Goop after you open it so many times...

it lets moisture and Air get in touch with the Latex... and well... it starts curing...

Maskol from Humbrol works great... I like it! but I found it sometimes soften the FUTURE... making it turn White !!! which would indicate it introduce some sort of moisture .... and Future is acrylic based !!!

it's tough ! but all tough guys have a soft spot... LOL

Next time... do a small test first... and never leave your rubber mask on for too long.....
and read the labels... if compatible with the paints you are about to use !!! or have used ....

Rubber masks are nice but Tamiya Tape never fails....

humm and for those still Using Electrical Tape on your models... Don't !!! LOL

Nothing like a good reel of Tamiya Tape !!!

Take care and hope you can live with yourself... and that your model will make it ?

I know Maskol contains ammonia, hence it's use on acrylic based paints can be disastrous, though it would be fine on enamels.
I got some Vallejo liquid mask to try which isn't ammonia based and can be used safely on Acrylics, i have to say, though i've nothing to directly compare it with I wasn't impressed, personally i'd rather struggle with masking tape strips and a sharp hobby knife.

I've used the Mr. Hobby liquid mask successfully over Tamiya and Vallejo paints, and also over top of Future and/or the Tamiya spray clear. I often will paint it on over size, then trim the edges back to the exact shape with a new sharp blade after it has dried 24 – 48 hrs. The main problem I’ve seen with the Mr. Hobby mask is that water will soften it and when I use IPA to thin my Tamiya paints (which is not that often any more) the IPA can attack the mask.

schweinhund227 said:
Rubber masks are nice but Tamiya Tape never fails....

Nothing like a good reel of Tamiya Tape !!!

Norm - do you like Tamiya Tape? I'm getting the distinct impression that you REALLY like Tamiya tape...LOL

schweinhund227 said:

I'm sensing a somewhat direct jab here......
And, I'll say this. Whatever tips you may read, find what works for you, and run with it

Come to think of it, I have never used a liquid mask over paint. only over bare plastic, or on top of tape to help seal it down.

Quaralane said:
And, I'll say this. Whatever tips you may read, find what works for you, and run with it

I do agree with this statement. I had a method of seam filling with squadron's white putty that others would not touch. It worked well for me.

Quaralane said:
schweinhund227 said:

I'm sensing a somewhat direct jab here...... OUch !!!

OK !!! yeah... I am sorry ! I was waiting for that one.... and stepped in it, didn't I !!!
All I can do is beg your pardon !!! it was painful to watch "non the less" my friend !!!

As I have done it in the past !!! ( I'm not perfect ) and hence the reason why..... I hold my vote against using it !!!

I'm not starting a war against E-Tape... it just happens ..... Yes... I truly have a Luv for Tamiya Tape !
and yes.... Tamiya Tape does pull paint now and then.... but !

Did I say I luv Tamiya Tape ???

LOL

No offences were meant by any of my comments.... so please...!!! shake it off and move along.... we are all good friends here.... !

First off, I do apologize for the late response. I have a weird work schedule and unable to get to the computer during those times. :-\ Thanks for the help. I was very surprised when I saw that the masking had removed the Glosscote lacquer, but didnot touch the enamel paint underneath. ??? I did notice that schweinhund didn't say not to use duct tape. ;D

Latest posts

Back