Lifecolor Paint Tutorials

Dusky

I'm finding myself no longer able to use solvent based paints and I am looking to switch to a true water based acrylic. I have some Lifecolor paints, but haven't really tested them much yet. I would appreciate if you could help me track down some tutorials on how to use Lifecolor acrylics by both brush and airbrush. Techniques, what to use underneath, best brushes, airbrush thinning ratios using Lifecolor thinner, time between brush and airbrush coats, etc.

i use teh rust tones my self for ab and i dont thin them i think they work better that way for me, as for thinning then use water, its a millions times cheaper.

Also, what's the best way to mix it? I think I read somewhere that it should be shaken, but that just causes lots of bubbles to form.

i use a badger mixer for my mixing stops all teh build up from shaking, and yes it bubbles but all it needs is a quick stir

I don't have any scrap at the moment and I've never liked working on scrap because I don't really put any effort into testing since I know it's scrap.

However, since I'm in the mood for a nice easy build, I might dig out my Leopard 2A4.

Surely a few people have used them. Also, what about their Tensocrom weathering paints?

Only one I have used is the color I put on the M51 Super Sherman. Rather than try to find a close match in the Vallejo air range, or mix a couple of colors together, Lifecolor has the pre-'73 and post '73 Israeli colors.

First time using them myself, what can I say....they are OK, but I won't be trading in my Vallejo for them.

Airbrushing it on, it went down ok....rough 50/50 mix with their thinner resulted in a thinner than I would like mixture, so it took multiple coats to cover. Once it was on and dried, I found the paint to be on the rough side.

As far as brush painting....I can't really comment as I have only used it to just touch up a few spots on the airbrushed coat....so I don't know how well they would be to brush over a large area. I fear they would brush paint similar to Tamiya, do one pass and let it dry, no matter how thick or thin it goes on....as it skins over fast, and a 2nd or 3rd stroke will just pull the skin around, fouling up your surface. Probably not as bad as Tamiya will, but still seems that it leans in that direction. Again, I won't be trading my Vallejo in for them anytime soon.

So for me...other than a few colors that may be spot on for what you need (IE, the Israeli sand colors), I doubt I would buy too many of them based on my experience with this one.

for the Brush painter you can not beat vallejo hands down in acrylics,
I have the rust set from lifecolor so i cant comment on how well they paint on a larger surface but i do know i prefer them unthinned, the plus to them is they are very easy to clean and you can thin them with water.

oh and dont waste you time with there ab cleaner i tried it and it cloged up the ab so now i use it as brush cleaner and it works relly well for that,

I used to have a video on youtube showing me spraying lifecolor paints, due to my music track though youtube blocked it. It showed me spraying OD over black primer and it covered just fine.

I build mostly Allied subjects so I use Lifecolor paints most of the time, both for airbrushing and for brush painting, they have absolutely nothing in common with Tamiya paints and brush on just fine. All my US figures are brush painted with their paints as I have the Olive Drab set and the US web gear sets. I also have the flesh set and the tire black set, the tire black set is awesome, six different shades of black, really handy.

I used to thin lifecolor with distilled water, it worked fine but I noticed it would separate in the color cup and would also leave a somewhat chalky finish. I switched to their own thinner (I mean, it's like $11.00 for 250 ml) and have never dealt with those two issues again. I have never had a problem with them and have been using them since I was first introduced to them in a review sample for Military Modeling in 2009.

You can read that initial review HERE

Very nice review ken, I was thinking of getting that tyre black set my self along with a few more colors.

I've used Lifecolor on a few of my models and i've had very good results but the other day I never could get it to spray through my Badger Krome AB with the .2 needle combo, it was drying on the nozzle faster than I could clean it off.

Still experimenting with thinners, retardants and air pressure.
Tony lee

Hi Pharm......as far as Lifecolor goes...I'am hooked! this model was handbrushed as my AB comp was on the fritz
DSC01216.jpg
right out of the bottle,one coat no primer......Lifecolor is now my weapon of choice
DSC01253.jpgall detail painting was done with Lifecolor,weathering with AK interactive products
DSC01257.jpggood luck with em and hope to see some pics

Latest posts

Back