Last of the most recent build I'll put you through, F-4C & J, P-51 1/48

Bomber Boy

Static Grass Is The Sh!^
Ok Everyone, here are the last of the most recent builds for the past year. first a little back story.

The following P-51D and F-4C are from the 4th FG/TFW stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB in Goldsboro N.C., I as a Kid grew up about 40 miles off the end of the runway of said Base. Before the supersonic laws the F-4s from there would hit Mach1 somewhere near my house and I use to wonder why it was thundering on a Clear Day. The 4th got its start at the beginning of WWII as the volunteer group EAGLE Squadron, when we (USA) entered the war in Dec 1941 they were designated the 4th FG, they still flew the venerable Spitfire until the P-47s and P-51s could be delivered. At one time Chuck Yeager commanded the 4th during the Korean war period.

The F-4J is here depicted as VMFA-333 (DN) from Beaufort S.C., though most often it is depicted as (AJ) from Cherry point N.C. Some time in the late 70's they were for a brief time stationed in Beaufort. This model was build for a local show (Virginia Shootout, Roanoke Va.) in their Reels Category 1970s. The Movie I chose was "The Great Santini" I have included a photo of Robert Duvall in front of said plane. This is the only photo I could find showing a F-4J and Duvall so I went with it.

Sadly where I live we can not get High Speed and have to suffer through Dial up. Since I had these already uploaded to photobucket I can post them rather quickly, as for viewing the other Great works posted here I will have to wait until tomorrow to view them as I will be at my store where we have broadband, so expect many comments to come on other post. I too will be posting in the Ship forum some of my Battle wagons I've built in the past if you would like to see them as well. Again Thanks for the warm welcome here and I am sure I can learn a lot from all of you and just Maybe I too can help some one along the way.

Enjoy!
P-51D 4th FG 334thFS OOB
3_99_b1.jpg
mu4.jpg
mu3.jpg
mu5.jpg

F-4C 4th TFW 335th TFS OOB
f4c8.jpg
f4c6.jpg
I know I forgot the Stars and Bars
f4c7.jpg
f4c9.jpg

F-4J VMFA-333 "The Great Santini" some Aftermarket, True Details seats, Eduard PE Big Ed, Homemade deacals specific to this plane (circled)
13582537_gal.jpg
f428.jpg
f424.jpg
f425.jpg
f427.jpg
f419.jpg
f411.jpg
f418.jpg

Thanks for looking, see ya real soon with some fresh out the box builds.

James
f420.jpg

austin132010 said:
How did you do the exhaust stains on the P-51D?

They were air brushed, in these photos they look a little more brown than they really are. I have a mix I concocted from military brown, rust, a little aluminum metalizer and flat black, with a LOT of thiner (I use mineral spirits, I only use enamel paint).

James

Bomber Boy said:
austin132010 said:
How did you do the exhaust stains on the P-51D?

They were air brushed, in these photos they look a little more brown than they really are. I have a mix I concocted from military brown, rust, a little aluminum metalizer and flat black, with a LOT of thiner (I use mineral spirits, I only use enamel paint).

James

OK, Thanks.

13aceofspades13 said:
the P-51 is a revell kit isn't it... nicely done with that...

Yes it is the Revell kit OOB not much there to play with, but cheep. This is what I call a fluff build as I built it at the same time I was working on the Phantoms, kinda a side job.

Hodges, no neither one is a Hase. kit. the C is Monogram and the J is Italeri. I'm now just starting a Promodeler (Monogram) which is a reboxing of the Hase. kit with added Open cockpit parts.

I love your work my man !!! I love those big bad girls.... I remember the F4's passing over my Head while stationed in Germany.... Man they were loud and leaving big black trails behind them..... LOL

Good old days !!!

Take care and keep up the good work !

Latest posts

Back