Last flight of the space shuttle....

Bought a 1:144 Model of her. She will get a place of honor at my collection

[attachment deleted by admin]

It's sad, space exploration will be left to robots now.
I decided to move my shuttle model higher in the build pile.

Sadly, ScarredKustoms, she has no replacement yet.

Grendels, thank you for finding this, and for sharing it

That was the last flight of Discovery....Endeavour is due to go up April 19th, and Atlantis is scheduled to go up June 28th. And then I believe that is it, the end of an era.

I can remember like it was yesterday, sitting in Grade 9 History (and homeroom) and my teacher coming in to give us the news that Challenger had exploded. I raced home after school as fast as I could and watched replays over and over...such a sad and tragic day.

I then remembered watching live of Columbia breaking up on re-entry.

I know that it takes a ton of cash to keep these shuttles going, but not having them is going to put space exploration back decades, not that they were the most capable spacecraft, but without them we wouldn't have the ISS, or Hubble, among other things. And yes while the Challenger and Columbia accidents were tragic, they served as a reminder that space travel isn't like going down to your local 7/11 for a quart of milk, it is a dangerous job, and the accidents led to safer space travel with the shuttles.

I truly believe it is more a gov't not wanting to spend the cash to keep them flying rather than the ability of the shuttles to keep flying. NASA is going to be hand cuffed for quite some time with the loss of the shuttles!! Going to be a very sad day indeed with Atlantis touches back down to earth for the last time and effectively ends the US's ability to travel into space. From then on they will be relying on Russian Soyuz shots to take people on and off the ISS.

I was in the head of the physics departments office at my college when the news came out that Challenger exploded. I was in shock for days...... Mainly because I started on a Physics degree to get a job at NASA. (Which I later turned down.... Mainly due to the way that NASA is run.)

Well, Obama decided to cancel the maned space program for what ever reason he thought right. I will say I do not agree with that, but it is really just me against a very large gov. I don't think that the money is wasted at all.

Elm City: If you look at the budget in the U.S. gov. You will find out that the space program was a drop in the bucket compared to other things that they spend money on. The problem is it is high profile. So when you cut that budget, every one sees it. But if you made cuts in other areas, no one cares. So the space program is one of the things that they go after.

NASA can blame themselves for this one. I am not going to go into the details, that is not for this site, nor this thread. I am just sad to see the end of this era. :'(

John

Latest posts

Back