Landkreuzer P.1000 "Ratte" (enormous WW2 tank?)

Cave_Dweller

http://www.hlj.com/product/MTUAFV-46

mtuafv-46_1.jpg

Ok well, this looks more like a warhammer 40k tank or something, but apparently this was a german tank that never entered production in WW2. I gotta say that's one sick looking model! That thing would be absolutely huge.

Thing is also quite expensive, at well over 200 bucks. Thought you guys might enjoy it

Hmmmm... Not too bad as a model. Although it's of a very wrong configuration...

I scratch-build one for Flames of War a little time ago.

Ratte_01.jpg

Ratte_04.jpg

And with a King Tiger for scale...

Ratte_06.jpg

I'm not entirely happy with how it came out so I might sand it down at some point, add more details, and then paint it up again...

Here's some more. The site has some awesome oddball stuff BTW. The Nazi wonder weapons were never done. Just fanciful What Ifs. So, there is no 'wrong configuration', just other configurations. And yes that's the turret from the German naval cruisers/battleships. They were supposed to be powered by sub deisels engines, and the tracks are 3 tiger tracks side by side on each wheel. BIG. But I like the self propelled rail gun myself. 8)

Gundamhead said:
Here's some more. The site has some awesome oddball stuff BTW. The Nazi wonder weapons were never done. Just fanciful What Ifs. So, there is no 'wrong configuration', just other configurations. And yes that's the turret from the German naval cruisers/battleships. They were supposed to be powered by sub deisels engines, and the tracks are 3 tiger tracks side by side on each wheel. BIG. But I like the self propelled rail gun myself. 8)

Debating the configuration of various paper-panzer is half the fun…

In any case, a bit is known about the possible configuration of the Ratte. Although, as far as I know, not from any primary sources…

In any case, it’s pretty certain that the turret would have had only two barrels. Also, plans only called for eight 20 mm. anti-air guns. That model has no less than six quad-turrets (looks like the proposed anti-air turret for the Panther). But as I said, nothing from primary sources...

Yeah… I do like nitpicking every now and again… Sorry…

Of course… The real question is whether or not it can be motorized… ;D

I wouldn't worry about the moving part, the subs engines would have done that. The real question is what do you do to stop it from sinking in the mud after a rain? Or how do you keep it from not splitting itself in half over rough terrain. Worse, how do realistically defend it from the air? One bomb and that sucker is toast.

Gundamhead said:
Worse, how do realistically defend it from the air? One bomb and that sucker is toast.

This, I think, would have been the biggest problem. Unless the Germans had almost complete air-superiority (which they certainly didn't have towards the end of the war) then a Ratte would have been a sitting duck.
If planes could sink battleships they could certainly kill a rat...

Just imagine trying to fuel that beast. Would require a dedicated supply chain of epic proportions for all the fuel, munitions and parts. And a crew of perhaps 50 men. Probably drive about 5 miles a day at a snail's pace.

At any rate, it would be one fun model to build and paint up nicely. But, you'd need quite a large shelf to display it. ::)

Back