Klingon Vor'cha Cruiser WIP

Igard said:
Good luck Grendels. If you get any nice snaps, be sure to post them for us.

I will post them over in chit chat. I haven't used the telescope in years, so don't expect much. Maybe a few photos of the moon.

Started putting the base together.

2012-01-04_21-32-18_741.jpg

I hand painted the olive coloured panels and the greyish ones. Airbrushed the rest, with mixed success. You can see there's a little problem on one of the wings I've yet to fix.

2012-01-04_21-31-55_609.jpg

A couple of little mistakes on the bridge section. Got some leak from the masking that has been fixed. I used a cocktail stick to run along some of the edges, much straighter than a brush. I think it's looking good though.

2012-01-04_21-33-59_935.jpg

Meanwhile, the base continues to develop...

2012-01-05_21-40-04_899.jpg

2012-01-06_00-35-14_801.jpg

Aaaaarrghhhhh! The masking tape removed a chunk of the paintwork! Actually, it's removed the putty from around this seam. I don't think this is a masking problem, but a putty problem. Maybe I mixed it to the wrong ratio, or maybe it's bad putty... :-\

2012-01-06_02-45-33_181.jpg

Repairs are underway...

2012-01-06_03-53-43_960.jpg

And just now started painting the base...

2012-01-06_03-55-52_951.jpg

So, I'll let that dry overnight before masking it, then onto sanding that repaired seam. :D

Unlucky with the masking issue mate but you seem to have it taken care off. And the rest looks great and as PP said that base is killer! ;D

Cheers, Punk, John and Grendels.

For the base, I'm trying to match the colour scheme from inside the ship -

IKS_Drovana_computer_room.jpg

Put it this way.

I would buy that, with money.

looks ace.

now to get on with my kronos 1 to keep her company.

This is coming along quite nicely. That putty pulling up looks like it was a pain though. Luckily, if there's one thing I've learned over the years, there's almost nothing that can't be fixed. Trek on man! Q'apla!

Trully You are a base-master, buddy! Still remembering that awesome base for the ferengi marauder with the pieces of star trekish gold bricks (I know that's no gold, don't remember how it was called correctly)
Excellent work here! And good luck with dealing that paint-scratch ;)

Thanks smusno, Jamaican, trekriffic and Sol

@trekriffic and Jamaican, Still working on that seam. I did a bit of post-shading in that area, so getting it blend in is tricky. I'll keep trying though and hopefully weathering will help cover it.

@ Sol, Gold-pressed latinum! Everyone I show my models to says the thing they are most impressed with, is the base for that Marauder. Not the actual models themselves! ;D

Thanks Q! :)

Here's a pic of the model with the first gloss coat drying.

2012-01-10_00-08-45_958.jpg

I decided to replace the kit's naff Klingon logo decals with my own.

2012-01-11_02-39-18_881.jpg

However, now I'm not happy with the original's other decals. They look like they stand out a bit too much.

2012-01-11_05-59-19_424.jpg

Haven't sealed them yet, so I'm gonna try and remove them and make my own.

Does anyone have any tips on removing these?

Almost finished the base. I'm going to dry brush some aluminium onto the emblem, then I'll paint the tri-star. I'm undecided whether or not to do a wash.

2012-01-11_17-22-12_348.jpg

Igard said:
However, now I'm not happy with the original's other decals. They look like they stand out a bit too much.

2012-01-11_05-59-19_424.jpg

Haven't sealed them yet, so I'm gonna try and remove them and make my own.

Does anyone have any tips on removing these?

Gently lift them off with a chisel blade - #16, I think - or the rounded one, and then some 400 grit and re-paint if necessary.

Yeah, just what Ziz said.Plus You can use some Microscale's decals solution for softening decals (MicroSol if I remember correctly), if You have one and didn't use MicroSet adhesive catalyst while applying decals.
The ship and the base both looks excellent in paint. And IMHO they could now use some weathering and meet washes. That would greatly improve the comprehension of details, and, c'mon, these are klingons, not some girls from the federation. Fierce guys are not afraid to get dirty ;D

Igard said:
@ Sol, Gold-pressed latinum! Everyone I show my models to says the thing they are most impressed with, is the base for that Marauder. Not the actual models themselves! ;D

Well, You really did an absolutely great job with that base. I think bases are important.As I was told on the course of how to make presentations, what you show is only 30% of audience comprehension. 70% - is how you do it, and nothing drugs everyones attention to the model as a cool base i think.

Solander said:
Well, You really did an absolutely great job with that base. I think bases are important.As I was told on the course of how to make presentations, what you show is only 30% of audience comprehension. 70% - is how you do it, and nothing drugs everyones attention to the model as a cool base i think.

I agree with this, and I usually spend some time making a good base for my models. Not on the level of what the two of you usually do, but I do make a nice base for them.

It looks like the others got you an answer to the decal problem....

Thanks very much, ziz. That worked pretty well. I used a bit of warm water along with the chisel blade just to help soften them a bit. Lost some paint, so I'll get that touched up later. :)

Sol, I used Revell decal softener only. My brother just told me, I must weather the base, so that'll get done too. :)

Grendels, I usually tell myself, I'm not spending much time on the base, but it never works out like that. ;D

The custom decals look much better. I'm not entirely sure I got the character right, but I suspect these denote the Klingon house or faction the ship belongs to....

2012-01-15_03-49-52_176.jpg

Here's a couple of shots before I weather. I'm starting to like the intense green the daylight lamp gives it.

2012-01-15_03-50-21_991.jpg

I don't think I've taken any picks of the ventral hull yet...

2012-01-15_03-50-48_781.jpg

I'm thinking of doing the washes in a controlled manner. I'll do a light wash over the entire thing. Mix some pro-modellers dark and light dirt. Then I'll target some specific areas for a slightly darker wash. Then some dark rust pigments in places.

Can't wait to try that out tomorrow! Oh wait... it IS tomorrow!! 6am, this is getting silly! :eek:

Latest posts

Back