Klingon Bird of Prey

Quaralane

While I wait for some supplies for the Enterprise build, I decided to do a quick OOB build up to fill the time.
For this, I'm going with the re-issued Klingon Bird of Prey from Round 2
Round2-KBOP-00.jpg

A look at the kit's many sprues of 'army men green' parts
Round2-KBOP-01.jpg
Round2-KBOP-02.jpg
Round2-KBOP-03.jpg

I'll be building this particular bird in "cruise" mode to help set it apart from many of the other builds I've seen on line.
Got the wing radiator baffles, guns, and lower hull built up
Round2-KBOP-04.jpg

Wings assembled and being clamped
Round2-KBOP-05.jpg

Main hull is built. All main assemblies are ready to go into primer and paint
Round2-KBOP-06.jpg

And here, we have a quick mockup of how the assembled ship will look. Assemblies are only snapped together at this point
I haven't put in the clear parts, or the 'cloaking ring' so that they can be painter separately
Round2-KBOP-07.jpg
Round2-KBOP-08.jpg

Still working out what I'm going to do with the paint and weathering at this stage.
Youtube link:
Round 2 1/350 Klingon Bird of Prey Part One

Strange thing that we can't see the pictures directly on your post.

Anyway, good luck with this kit... I could suggest you to go with a reflector item (like the one on Bikes, motorcycles, cars) since I used one of these to do my BoP Engine, But it will certainly be too late will you read it :D

The clear part was done with a simple permanent red marker.

DSC04997.jpg

The "reflector" parts found outside.

DSC05010.jpg

The result with the Flash light

DSC05042.jpg

The result with the red clear part of the BoP

DSC05049.jpg

The cool thing with Klingon starships is that you don't have to be "clean" like with the Starfleet vessels. There is ton of ways to paint the panels with various green colors, and finish up with a brown wash to blend it all. :)

I fixed the links. No idea how that happened as I swear I posted images originally.

Got my own way of dealing with the engine thing. Base color backed by white on the inside. Works well enough for my needs.

Although your idea certainly has its uses.

Thanks for the fixed links :)

Originally I choose the reflector bits for a simple reason : I thought that it was the same triangular pattern than the Klingon likes in their design, panels, and stuff... Don't you think.

Can't wait to see the next step on your building Quaralane :)

Love the video Q, I know you will knock this one out of the park.

Thanks, guys.

Okay, here is an update on the Bird of Prey build
After decanting som Krylon Grey primer for use in the airbrush, I got all of the assemblies primered.
Round2-KBOP-09.jpg

Decanted some Testors Graphite Dust for use on the wing baffles and guns, as well as the "cloaking generator"
Also picked out some other details on the rest of the ship with the color
Round2-KBOP-10.jpg
Round2-KBOP-11.jpg

For the base color on the model, I mixed up a custom shade that, in retrospect, turned out to be very close to the base color of the plastic.
I used about 1/3 Badger light camouflage grey to about 2/3 Badger medium green.
Once that was done, I free-handed some areas, including the feather plates, in Medium Green.
Round2-KBOP-12.jpg
Round2-KBOP-13.jpg

For the engine and torpedo tube, I painted the colors on the underside of the part, then added a coat of white from the back to make it pop.
The engine and torpedo framework were hand painted in black, followed by Graphite Dust.
I gave the whole model a black wash, then wiped off the excess as I went.
The baffles, guns, and cloaking ring were drybrushed in copper
Battle damage was added to a couple of areas by applying some old-style Testors tube glue to the area, followed by lighting the glue and letting it burn for a bit.
This was further enhanced with some Vallejo Smoke on both the damaged areas and for some streaking on parts of the ship.
Finished build pics:
Round2-KBOP-14.jpg

Round2-KBOP-15.jpg

Round2-KBOP-16.jpg
Round2-KBOP-17.jpg
Round2-KBOP-18.jpg

Round2-KBOP-19.jpg

Youtube link:
Round 2 1/350 Klingon Bird of Prey Part Two--Finale

A quick and efficient build. Bravo ! :)

You made me feel like build another one... ;)

Great job! I think every sci-fi modeler needs to build at least one of these BOP models because they are just so easy to put together and so much fun to paint.

I agree one hundred percent. This one was actually my third, although the first two have long since travelled on the Barge of the Dead to Sto'vo'kor

damn, even though im not a star trek fan, i could only say this.......this is really well done! nice touch on the light on the engine part. ;D

I want to thank you Quaralane since thanks to your BOP topic here, I was inspired to build another one, with different wings angle, and revisit the 3rd and 4th Star Trek movie (can't bare the 5th, really can't) and even the last seasons of Deep Space Nine.

As a matter of fact I painted my new BOp with more vivid green colors, and since I made a lot of progress in Dry brushing technics, work with 10 different green colors and blend them in with two very different tint was a real pleasure as a real challenge. Will share this soon with you guys.

So thank you again Quaralane ! :) :D

Youli, you are VERY welcome.
Wasn't looking to inspire, but...if I did, you are welcome

TheDeadRumors said:
darn, even though im not a star trek fan, i could only say this.......this is really well done! nice touch on the light on the engine part. ;D
Thanks.
The engine's a little trick I learned a long time ago to make it look lit even though there are no lights in the model

Nice job Q she finished up great!!!!
Hey does the kit come with that nice adjustable
mount I see you adjusting in the final video?

Latest posts

Back