KITT-Season One-Aoshima

Quaralane

Okay, next up on the bench is one of my favorite cars of all time.
The original Knight Industries Two Thousand from Knight Rider.
I'll be working from the Aoshima 1/24 scale kit that came with the led scanner part
kitt-s1-aoshima-00.jpg

Lots of parts, mostly in the correct colors to minimized the need for paint
kitt-s1-aoshima-01.jpg
kitt-s1-aoshima-02.jpg
kitt-s1-aoshima-03.jpg

For the undercarriage, I gave all of the parts a drybrush in silver to both bring out the detail and take away some of the glossy black look
Started work on the underbody, as well as the front wheel mounts
kitt-s1-aoshima-04.jpg

The wheels and front seats have been assembled as well
kitt-s1-aoshima-05.jpg

Undercarriages assembly is complete, despite my best efforts to screw it up by initially skipping parts.
The chrome exhaust assembly will be getting a black wash later to help dull it down
kitt-s1-aoshima-06.jpg

Started detail painting the interior with both the black, and the trim.
I should not here that the instructions actually gave a good piece of advice for painting all the buttons.
First, a coat of silver is laid down. This is followed by paingint the buttons in the correct colors (Which I freely admit taking some liberties with)
At this point, all the interior needs are the decals for the remaining consol details, followed by assembly
kitt-s1-aoshima-07.jpg
kitt-s1-aoshima-08.jpg
kitt-s1-aoshima-09.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IME7GcMtY2Q

Here's an update on the KITT buildup.
Assembly on the passenger compartment is done, all of the decals for the instrument panel are in place.
The whole assembly was given a coat of flat to seal it in, followed by a coat of Future on the two TV screens
kitt-s1-aoshima-10.jpg

Circuit board for the scanner light is installed, and I make sure it works
kitt-s1-aoshima-11.jpg

All of the 'glass' gets the black trim painted in
kitt-s1-aoshima-12.jpg

Decided to build the headlights closed and ditch the ability to raise and lower them.
Also decided not to put all of the clear for the lower headlights as I liked the look of the front without the final layer in place.
Painted the areas behind the signal lights and tail lights in with white before installing them.
Sadly, the darker tinted cover for the tail lights hides the actual tail lights (which is accurate to the original KITT.)

Finished build pics
kitt-s1-aoshima-13.jpg
kitt-s1-aoshima-14.jpg

kitt-s1-aoshima-15.jpg
kitt-s1-aoshima-16.jpg

kitt-s1-aoshima-17.jpg

kitt-s1-aoshima-18.jpg
kitt-s1-aoshima-19.jpg

Youtube link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgTkqNfuTwY

This is a nice kit to build. You did well to just leave the headlights in a closed position. This engineering could have greatly benefited from a small polycap snap fit in order to make them poseable. As it is, you really have a hard time to glue it the way the instructions tell you to do, and moving the headlights up and down is dangerous.

I made the Season 4 version, but I'd like to give it another shot if it's the Season 1 and with the LED scanner.

Latest posts

Back