Kitech F/A-18D 1:72 - WIP

WigWag Workshop

"Keep The Glue On The Styrene"
Good Day Folks!

OK OK OK, So, I'm bad bad boy!! My parents sent me some presents for Christmas, so like any kid (Big or Small) I shook the box, and heard that familiar sound of styrene in a cardboard box. I just had to rip off the wrapping paper to see which kits I had. I posted in another thread asking about them, I guess I should have just looked them up. I chose this kit, to build first. I still need to do my research about the 1:1 this kit was made after. I do have a question though, the box states F/A-18D Wild Weasel - and the instructions states F/A-18D - Fighting Falcon.

8266006562_1e851ab7cc.jpg

8266011302_0955b5fd86.jpg

8266009830_9cf260722a.jpg

-Steven

I hope you packed it and back under the tree! ;)

As far as I know, "Wild Weasel" and "Fighting Falcon" are terms related to the US Air Force. Wild Weasel is a squadron I heard about during the Vietnam conflict. Fighting Falcon for the F-16.

While Fighting Falcon does refer to the F-16, Wild Wiesel isn't any particular squadron, but usually denotes a mission. Any aircraft that's purpose is to attack enemy radar installations would be considered a Wild Wiesel mission.

True it started back in Vietnam, and there were aircraft dedicated in searching out radars (F-105G, F-4G), it wasn't any one squadron, as the aircraft were usually mixed in with the other squadrons, similar to a command tank being mixed in with an armored platoon.

Once aircraft were designed to be multi-mission, and the F-4G retired from service, there really weren't any aircraft that were dedicated specifically for the WW mission, as they could just be outfitted with the weapons needed for that particular mission.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Wild Wiesel is any particular squadron, but usually denotes a mission. Any aircraft that's purpose is to attack enemy radar installations would be considered a Wild Wiesel mission.

True it started back in Vietnam, and there were aircraft dedicated in searching out radars (F-105G, F-4G), it wasn't any one squadron, as the aircraft were usually mixed in with the other squadrons, similar to a command tank being mixed in with an armored platoon.

Once aircraft were designed to be multi-mission, and the F-4G retired from service, there really weren't any aircraft that were dedicated specifically for the WW mission, as they could just be outfitted with the weapons needed for that particular mission.

Thank for clearing that up for us. Wild Weasels sounds like task force to me.

I'd be curious to know what kit they copied that one from, myself.
Sadly, many of the Kitech kits I've seen seem to be either repops or recasts of other kits.

They did an Airwolf, for example, that was clearly the old AMT kit.

I wish you good fortune in making her look really good. From the sprues, it looks like a decent parts layout

Unwrapping a new kit..., one of the best feelings.

Decent looking kit too! F-18's in 1/72 build up nicely.

Latest posts

Back