Kitbashing a Buoy Tender

Peter54

Here is my attempt to make another boat from the leftovers of "Kitbashing a Trawler".
This time it's about a boat I never knew existed until one questions how do sea fairing buoys get to be where they are.
This what they look like:
115_Buoy Tender (0).jpg

So, the kitbashing bit is to bash two stern leftovers together.
115_Buoy Tender (1).jpg

119_Buoy Tender (5).jpg

Funny how a boat frame can look like a fish skeleton.
120_Buoy Tender (6).jpg

My attempt to make a bow section using balsa.
121_Buoy Tender (7).jpg
to be continued...

Planking the bow.
122_Buoy Tender (8).jpg

Using scrap Masonite to make the wheel house.
123_Buoy Tender (9).jpg

124_Buoy Tender (10).jpg

I needed a break from the boat and decided to make a few buoys. An old one to be replaced by a new one.
The story goes that the old buoy, had broken loose and got beached upon some river bank.
I used an old broom stick, dowel off-cut, biro, and copper wire. Had fun making it look like a giant squid.
125_Old Buoy (1).jpg

126_Old Buoy (2).jpg
to be continued...

The new buoy to replace the old one.
I used dowel offcuts, square slat, biro, copper wire, piece of tin, cardboard and fly screen.
134_New Buoy (1).jpg

This buoy has solar panels.
135_New Buoy (2).jpg

136_New Buoy (3).jpg

137_New Buoy (4).jpg

Now for a crane to pick up and drop off these buoys.
127_Crane (1).jpg
PS. Now and again you will notice a simple architectural scribble figure. That figure is usually my 6 foot reference.

To be continued...

Back to the boat...
138_Buoy Tender (11).jpg

Making adding and making some extras; and a bit of paint.
139_Buoy Tender (12).jpg

173_Buoy Tender_(11).jpg

173_Buoy Tender_(12).jpg

175_Buoy Drama (2).jpg

to be continued...

Now, the crew has to have some means of getting to and from the buoy in the water.
Here is my attempt to make an outboard rubber raft.
I used wood and board scraps, paddle pop stick and a paper clip.
178_Infatable Dinghy.jpg

178B_Rubber Dinghy.jpg

Putting all these things together.
182_Buoy Drama (8).jpg

300.jpg

302.jpg
Hope you enjoyed viewing this build as much as I had in building it.
THE END.

I see why this took you longer than the museum was expecting !
They should have just been more patient .

LOL , about your human scale reference ,
128_Crane (3).jpg
It's obvious what it is in context , but if I saw just that ? .... :D ;)

Now, the crew has to have some means of getting to and from the buoy in the water.
Here is my attempt to make an outboard rubber raft.
I used wood and board scraps, paddle pop stick and a paper clip.
View attachment 93582

View attachment 93583

Putting all these things together.
View attachment 93586

View attachment 93587

View attachment 93588
Hope you enjoyed viewing this build as much as I had in building it.
THE END.
This was really awesome to see you build, I was impressed on every little piece you created out of wood especially the crane, so beautifully made.

I spent a little time on a coast guard buoy tender as a teen, also known as the Black Hull coast guard (vs the white hull). In The US coast water ways and Aids of Naval navigation or installed and maintained by the coast guard who maintain a fleet of work vessels that are around 250-280' in length and have a large forward deck with winching systems and rigging.

Little fact about buoys they are held in place but the weight of the chain mostly with a Mushroom anchor that burrows into the sand and keeps the buoy from moving of location. So these ships have the capability and power to pull free these buoys from there moorings some times 10s of thousands of pounds. They also can do this is the buoy is sunk to the bottom and filled with water.

This was really awesome to see you build, I was impressed on every little piece you created out of wood especially the crane, so beautifully made.

I spent a little time on a coast guard buoy tender as a teen, also known as the Black Hull coast guard (vs the white hull). In The US coast water ways and Aids of Naval navigation or installed and maintained by the coast guard who maintain a fleet of work vessels that are around 250-280' in length and have a large forward deck with winching systems and rigging.

Little fact about buoys they are held in place but the weight of the chain mostly with a Mushroom anchor that burrows into the sand and keeps the buoy from moving of location. So these ships have the capability and power to pull free these buoys from there moorings some times 10s of thousands of pounds. They also can do this is the buoy is sunk to the bottom and filled with water.
Thank you for the information and explanations. I am glad that the threads has touched you.

Latest posts

Back