King Tiger group build?

Wow, way too cool. For only 6 dollars I'd buy so many tank kits. To butcher them for greeblies, I think. And one day I want to build one. :D

Hmm. Found (eeny tiny) Tigers in a dark corner of the stash:

270509001.jpg

Will brood on this, as don't want to commit to another build and not deliver. And know pretty much absolute ZERO about these (I can see a conversation with my tank building mate tomorrow.) Wot colours, eh? I think in RLM numbers :)

Patrick

I understand on not committing Patrick.
I ordered my Indy links and zimmerit putter onner stuff today. . .whoops! I guess I am committed to putting the the zim! ;D

I use Squadron Shop.
Never had a bad experience with them.
I ordered the Hobby Boss links and AFVCLUB Zim putter onner kit. Total of 28 US Dollars including shipping and insurance.
Putting on the Zim is going to be a new one for me but one I am looking forward to.

So....humour me... I met with my mate who does tanks today. IIUC as a result (please jump in if not so):

*Zimmerit's optional for a late model Tiggie (just as well as I see no tool in 76th :))
* All over dark red/brown primer inside and out.
* Turret internals (they're quite nice, in this microbeast) might be in white over this.
* Overall colour is Dunkelgelb over the primer (must research) which doesn't sound a million miles away from RLM79 sand braun.
* Other colours over the top, not necessarily to any defined pattern as done in the field unless the subject has been photographed, in which case...geek on.

Does this sound right?

Red brown primer not really needed in the model. Interior will be panzer interior buff. Testors acryl has a perfect match for this. Exerior will be Tamiya XF-60 dark yellow overall. The camo is all up to you. There were no standard patterns. Its all up to the number of the tank you choose. Same applies to the zimmerit. Its dependant on the references and number of the tank you choose.

HWR MKII,
Yes there were standard camo patterns for KT. Starting in the late-summer/early fall 1944, most, if not all German AFV's began to sport factory applied camo schemes. We know the scheme today as the "Ambush" scheme (which looks SO cool on the KT!). Anyway, the Germans played around with factory schemes for the rest of the war, but you have a bit of leeway (the "this looks about right" method should suffice in most cases). Just a quick thought about AM tracks. Put up a post on some of the other armor sites looking for the individual links (non-workable) from the DML KT. Some of the real hard core guys may have already swapped the tracks out for Friuli's or Modelkastens. BEWARE! there are versions of the KT tracks that have up to 7 pieces per link! I'm getting ready to get some shut-eye right now, but I'll post the info tomorrow (gotta check the stash). I believe Hobby Boss makes a set of non-workable tracks for the KT that are pretty respectable and aren't too expensive. Here's what's on E-bay right now: http://toys.shop.ebay.com/items/_W0QQ_dmdZ1?_nkw=1+35+king+tiger+track&_sacat=2588&_trksid=p3286.m270.l1313&_odkw=hobby+boss+track&_osacat=2588. These are for 1/35 scale models, sorry about that, small scale guys.
Regards,
Georg

Theres a difference between standardized type and pattern. There was no standard overall pattern to be seen. Just a type of camo.

I am assuming that anyone that wants to get in on this group build, that they can use any kit maker's King Tiger?? Tamiya, Dragon, etc, etc. Henschel or Porsche turret, Zim, or no Zim.

I do have a few of the Dragon Porsche w/Zim kits left in stock....$30 each (plus shipping) if anyone is interested.

Thanks
Scott

We start when Scott starts.
This will be a follow along and help each other make more better models.

And I don't mind if any one wants to laugh with me on my build,
Builds character.
:D

Latest posts

Back