Just Visited Mig Jimenez' Blog For the First Time...

Jdog71

Ni!
I'm getting back into model building after a long layoff, and I hadn't heard of this guy until today. Wow. Just...wow.

If I wasn't so persistent (and have so much time devoted to it already), I would probably sell all my modeling stuff and take up bird watching...how the heck can anyone compete with this guys stuff!?

http://migjimenez.blogspot.com/

Scott Girvan said:
Don't even try to compete, try to set new level bests.

Gradually raise the bar for yourself....words of wisdom, there. So much of modeling is incremental, it makes perfect sense to take that approach to your skill set too.

I went from building and hand painting a Revell '68 Mustang, to some sci fi kits, to the wonderful world of armor and airbrushes in less than 6 months. I really need to slow down and learn some actual technique now.

I don't think anyone can compete with Mig, I don't recall seeing him compete in any AMPS/IPMS contests. However if he does, they are more than likely in Spain or somewhere close to his home so I have nothing to worry about.

;D

On a serious note though, what Scott said, don't even try. ;) It's one thing to respect and look in awe and hope to emulate his techniques but don't be disappointed if you try to compare your work to his. In any hobby, their are always people who will be more experienced than you and they should make you want to immerse yourself deeper into the hobby, not give it up.

Mig isn't a competitive modeler by nature from any of my personal dealings with him, in fact just the opposite. In my experience he is one of the nicest and most sharing/giving modelers around. Anytime myself or any of my peers have asked him questions or advice he is always been extremely helpful and forthcoming and supportive. He has a true love and passion for the hobby that not all modelers have.

Lastly, while Mig is definitely among my top five favorite armor modelers there are some other names you might want to look up as well, they can be found on some designated armor sites, in many magazines and/or their own personal blogs. Along with Mig those names are, in no particular order Michael Rinaldi, Rick Lawler, Radek Pituch, Per Olav Lund.

Entering each of those names into google should bring you to their blogs or other images of their work. Be prepared to see even more incredible work.

Oh, I'm not giving up...I was trying to be funny, but it fell a bit flat ;D. For one, my wife would be upset because she bought me a few kits for Christmas.

Some good stuff there, ScaleModelMadman. I'll have fun searching for their stuff. Mig seems to be very devoted to the craft, and his blog has some great tutorials. I need to find a copy of his F.A.Q. book...its unavailable at the moment though. I saw a few DVD's on eBay. Anyone have experience with his DVD's?

My personal goal is to make something worthy of a show. It may take me a few years for that to happen, but I'm ready to learn. I have a good shop by me (Harry's in Norton MA (might as well drop their name here!)...great store keeper there with lots of tips and tricks every time I visit), so I'm lucky in that regard. I also have this site, which has proven invaluable when I have a problem or need a tip. The modeling community seems very open in nature, and people seem willing to share their knowledge instead of guarding their secrets. Its come a long way since the pre-internet days, thats for sure.

The only problem I seem to have right now is a depressing lack of time. An hour or two per day just won't cut it. On the bright side, retirement is only 25 years away... :-\

Hi,

the MIG DVD's are by Adam Wilder under the MIG company name, so you won't be seeing mig doing any modelling on the dvd's. The Vallejo all-acrylic DVD is purely mig Jimenez modelling and it's a great watch.

Mig is a pioneer, his work is an inspiration. Not only that, but he is a really nice guy too.

Mig is one of the best modellers around but there are also others as good or even better or more original than him, they are just not as popular or comercial
never the less he is a great teacher
by the way, i admire José Brito especially

Latest posts

Back