Jagdpanzer IV 70/A - wrecked

Wouter

Hi everyone

Thought it's time to start my first thread here and show you my current build. It's a wrecked Jagdpanzer IV 70/A - being my first time to build a wrecked and rusty piece of armour. The kit I used is an old Dragon kit (1997!)

Here's my current progress:
JagdpanzerIV70A4.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A3.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A2.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A1.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A5.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A6.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A9.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A8.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A7.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A10.jpg

That's it so far!

Cheers

Hey Wouts!! Nice to see you here and see the L/70!!! Really rubbing it in now ey? LOL...your gonna make me break the kit out when I get home! :eek: Keep up the great work!!

thanks Spudster! seems like you like to use this avatar :eek: ey ;D

Mr. Brown, why thanks mate, and no problemo

T, that's what I'm doin' bro, just stalkin' you untill you unwrap your kit ;D, so you opened the lid yet? :p

Geegad, thanks a lot partner!

Cheers

LOL....the lid has been off and sniffed all the plastic too!!! Waiting to see the review I wrote for the kit to come out and then I might take the gloves off!! LOL!!! At the rate your going though, you will be painting your next kit!! ;D

well T, you are a busy man being mod and reviewer on several sites ;D, looking forward to that review btw!

Zappa, bedankt man! :)

Hiya Jose, many thanks glad you like it! :)

Well, added some smaller details and some of the pieces on which the rail for the schürzen should be fitted. Going to leave the rail and some attachment points off the model btw, stolen for scrap or so ;D. Pretty much finished the build, sure ain't going for accuray, just for fun! Hope to be able to start painting soon and show you gents the result

Cheers

Hi Amon, thanks for that, and here's some more progress :p

I added some smaller bits like casting marks to the mantlet and collar, and using some thin wire I added the springs to the backfenders. I decided to leave some of the attachment points for the skirts off since I didn't like the plastic ones and didn't want to go aftermarket...keeping things plain and simple...so might not be accurate, but I'm still enjoying it, that's what counts ^^

Anywhoo, after that, I degreased the model using the Zippo lighter fluid and after that gave it a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200 thinned with Tamiya's Lacquer Thinner. Thin the Mr. Surfacer heavy, otherwise you might end up spraying little threads of Mr. Surfacer onto the model...
JagdpanzerIV70A11.jpg

When that was dry (fairly quick!) I gave the jagdpanzer different coats of rusty colors, all courtesy of Vallejo (Model Air!): First a coat of Burnt Umber, after that in some areas and the lower parts Tank Brown, and after that a thin mix of Tank Brown and Fire Red. It doesn't matter if the paintwork isn't too neat or blotchy, since it's only a baselayer before the basecoat of Dark Yellow.
JagdpanzerIV70A13.jpg

When the rusty colors were in place, I sealed it with several coats of Vallejo Model Air Satin Varnish. This varnish is ok, though sometimes you end up with little speckles, don't like that, but it's the way it is :-X

Anywhoo, hopefully I'm able to start the fun later on, or maybe tomorrow: the hairspray tech! 8)

Cheers

Looking sweet Wouts!! Nice to see some color going down!!! Looking forward to seeing you chip away at her!!! ;)

Hiya T, again - thanks mate ;D

I must say, I wanted to start chipping today, don't have any Tamiya DY anymore. I read somewhere that Vallejo paints aren't as good as Tammi paints for this one so have to score some paint tomorrow. Or do the Vallejo chip well?

Cheers

NO don't use the Vallejo, its a nightmare to chip, In places you will go trough it to the plastic and in other parts it will come off in sheets better off waiting it out till you get some Tamiya

Probably better sticking with your normal brands Wouts...like spud said! I personally have not had an issue chipping with Vallejo...have heard of only a couple problems but better to be safe than sorry...unless you have a test piece!! ;)

Looking great Wouts. Good to finally see the rust base on her.
Yes wait and get Tammy paints like the fellas said. It can be done with Vallejo or AK acrylics,BUT this takes lots of practice to get the hand of how to do it. You can't go mad and scrub off paint like with Tammy. Val and AK are ok if you just do small chipping here and there. But then you can use a brush or sponge for that.

Spud, T and Rob, many thanks for the advice guys! :)

Lucky me I found a bottle of Tamiya Buff in the stash ;D. Now this color can be used as a DY variation as well so decided to go with that one
JagdpanzerIV70A15.jpg

And then the fun began, chipping time!!!
JagdpanzerIV70A17.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A18.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A19.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A20.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A21.jpg

JagdpanzerIV70A22.jpg

I must say, I had really good fun, next up are the wheels and gun, but that's for another day ;D

Cheers

Latest posts

Back