Italeri 1/48 A-10 Thunderbolt II

That resin gun looks great. That's actually a nice little detailed kit on it's own. Well done.

Glad to see I'm not the only one wanting to dive into a kit and add lots of goodies right now.

You could try coaching the stuburn resin parts to take their place by dipping them in hot water but not boiling! Please!

Then after a few minutes (bathing in hot water) they will take their original shape or a gentle pressure can help that Bow diminish or disappear! If you want you can let them cool down naturally or you can lock them in their new position with a short dip in Cold water.

Twke care!

Norm.

Alrighty folks, sorry I haven't updated this build in a while. I was out of town for 4 days on business and then my dog almost died. It has been an exciting week to say the least... So here is where I'm at.

GUA-8 Avenger cart after paint:
A-1038.jpg

W/ wheels:
A-1039.jpg

GUA-8 Avenger painted up:
A-1040.jpg

Gun on Cart:
A-1041.jpg

A-1042.jpg

A-1043.jpg

All Finished Up:
A-1044.jpg

A-1045.jpg

A-1046.jpg

A-1047.jpg

A-1048.jpg

A-1049.jpg

A-1050.jpg

Just to get an idea of how big the gun really is:
A-1051.jpg

A-1052.jpg

Thank you for the kind words! The gun barrels are painted gun metal, the drum is chrome silver, the rest is flat black. I dry brushed it with flat aluminum. I am diggin on the finish.

Thank you again for all the complements!!!

I have done a little work to the aircraft as well. I did some sanding to the major seam lines but I quickly got board and decided to put together some of the ordinance this bad @$$ bird blows stuff up with:

A-1053.jpg

Then I decided to try dry fitting some of the main pieces together:
A-1054.jpg

A-1055.jpg

A-1056.jpg

A-1057.jpg

A-1058.jpg

I quickly realized that I did not have enough weight in the nose. Good thing I had some extra finishing weights laying around. I added the weights then dry fitted again.

A-1059.jpg

A-1060.jpg

A-1061.jpg

I used CA glue to hold in the extra weights. It was quicker than using white glue. (I should have known not to take short cuts!) I ended up getting a blob of CA on the fues in which I had to sand off and rescribe panel lines and rivets. Ugh.
A-1062.jpg

I Finished off by adding a few little bits here and there: (The landing gear is not glued in, just dry fitted.)
A-1063.jpg

You Know what they say about guys with BIG Guns!!! Just kiddin', looking really good there, look forward to seeing more!

James

Man that engine looks better than my 1/32 resin engine. Did that come with the detail set? You think this will be to heavy for the plastic gears?
Sorry to hear about your dog. I have two and they are my kids so I can empathize.

Hey Myke,

Thank you for the complements! The engine came with the detail set, the engine and the GUA-8 are the best part of the detail kit. The seatbelts did not look that great so I just painted the ones premolded on the ejections seat. I also hadn't even thought about the weight on the gears, thank you for bringing that up. Here is where I am after a little work today.

Landing Gear w/ all the legs glued in place. I am pretty disapointed with most of little parts there is quite a bit a flash... Oh well...
A-1064.jpg

Dryfit all the landing gear and put as much weight on it as I could. Everything looks good.
A-1065.jpg

A-1066.jpg

A-1067.jpg

I went ahead a put the ejection seat together:
A-1068.jpg

Dryfit in the cockpit:
A-1069.jpg

I needed to get some Future on the glass so I dryfit them in place before lathering them up.
A-1071.jpg

A-1070.jpg

Ejection Seat all painted up: (The detail on the seat is awful! I did some research online and this seat looks NOTHING like the real thing. Oh well, I'm not gonna swing for the aires seat at this point. Esp since it is my 2nd bird. )

Real Deal:
A10ACESrt.jpg

Kit Piece:
A-1073.jpg

Seat dryfit in cockpit:
A-1074.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

Keep up the good work..... Looking the Part !

How did you get rid of that BOW in the GUN..... on the Rack ???

take care !

Hey schweinhund, thanks for the complement! I actually glued the gun on the rack with CA glue.

I should have some more pics later today/tomorrow.

Thanks guys!

Thanks Military! I agree, not too sure how sleek a hog can be. Either way its a lethal beast!

Progress pics:

Ordinance all glued up:
A-1075.jpg

Intakes (Check out the giant lip):
A-1076.jpg

A-1077.jpg

Filled with putty and sanded. (Did the process twice.):
A-1078.jpg

A-1079.jpg

A-1080.jpg

A-1081.jpg

Dryfit in place:
A-1082.jpg

Thanks for looking!!!

That's some serious putty and sanding work. How did you get in there to sand/putty the turbine blades?

Latest posts

Back