invention: my new homemade adjustable model airplane hanger

t_tail_boy

Homemade Custom Adjustable-Height Model Airplane Hanger

Heavy-duty stainless fishing swivel hanging from hook on ceiling. Thread spools allow adjustment for aircraft height, pitch and bank angles. Wood screws with tapered shoulders can be tightened against spools to varying degrees and stay in place by friction. There is a flat washer between each and every spool and wooden arm they are mounted to. Four-pound-test mono fishing line is used to suspend the airplanes. These planes are still a pain to hang as mono line has memory and will unravel off spools easily if tension is not maintained. It's best to hang each side of the plane at the wing root first then put the front line in place. Each side line is wrapped under a main landing gear wheel and tied to the axle. "Air Mobile" is a spoof on "mobile" (mo-BEEL) (suspended free-moving sculpture) and the military connotation "airmobile". Jetliner die-cast models by Daron Toys. Each model is 5 1/2" long overall.

Last edited:
This looks very interesting. A few things I don't understand. You say the planes are adjustable for banking altitude etc.. Is this done while the Plane is hanging or do you have to remove the plane? Then adjust the lines and replace the plane?
You say the washers are between the spools and the arms. I'm Trying to visualize that mechanically and what I keep coming up with is the spool should be sandwiched between the arm and the washer? In either case with the arm, wide edge parallel to the floor I would expect that the spool is also mounted parallel to the floor causing it to feed sideways (at least until it clears the arm) any feeding problems? Sory if I'm a little slow on the uptake.
Lance

Latest posts

Back