Into Darkness Enterprise NCC-1701

Quaralane

Okay, time to get the ball rolling on the next build.
This time, I'm going to be building the Revell-Germany USS Enterprise NCC-1701 from Star Trek Into Darkness
revell-1701-500-00.jpg

Not planning on a lot of mods to this one, but I am considering lighting her, possibly adding a Bridge, since you can see through the window, also looking to add better nacelle fans.
Haven't done any actual work on her yet, but here is a look at the sprues and decals.

Saucer top and some clear
revell-1701-500-01.jpg

Saucer bottom and the rest of the clear
revell-1701-500-02.jpg

Details and base pieces
revell-1701-500-03.jpg

Secondary Hull
revell-1701-500-04.jpg

Nacelle halves
revell-1701-500-05.jpg

Decals
revell-1701-500-06.jpg

Youtube link:
Revell 1/500 Enterprise Part One

Kit's detail is nice and sharp. All of the saucer light locations are shown, so no guesswork there.
There are clear pieces for EVERY window in the ship.
My favorite part of the way this is engineered, though, is the secondary hull/struts/ neck.
The lower half struts are built into the hull halves, and the neck is integrated with them as well

Woooooow!!!
Now, this is truly serious, Q :)
I can't wait to get building mine, especially as I have been dreaming of that since I had grew warmhearted for this design, and that's aprox. almost 3 years ago.
I, however, resist myself as hard as I can, waiting for the release of the aztec decals, PE set ( Paragrafix mentioned to be working on one with some serious engineering for the contr- spinning bussards, which I want badly) and the separately released windows and deflector dish masks, Aztec Dummy promised of.
I've also got the second kit that I'm going to kitbash with the R2 Reliant to make a "JJ-style" version, mainly by replacing the warp-drives. But then again - decals and PE is what I'm going to need in that case as well.
So, I can only hope it won't take long till aftermarket arrives.
And grow green with envy and anticipation watching your build ;)

Very cool Q. Looking forward to seeing this built, and your opinions on the kit as the build progresses. Definitely a kit I'd like to add to my stash, I was disappointed when the Round 2 kit got side lined...

Jason

Thanks, guys.
I'm hoping to have some of the aftermarket come into place on this, but decided to not let it stop me.
Likely wind up scratch-building the bridge unless we hear from PGMS soon.

I have a BUNCH of 1.5 mm LEDs on the way for this.

JMac,
I think, truth be told, we likely got a better kit in the end.

Solander,
I may grab a second one of these to do up as a JJ version of my Pegasus class

CheesyGrin said:
This looks like a cool kit. its really hard to find though. This will be exciting to watch.

I agree, and I do want one of these, but I have to wait until near Thanksgiving to try and track one down...

Picked mine up through Amazon UK on a Google search.
When I bought it, she ran me $57.25 USD, including shipping. I had her in a couple of weeks

Then paint a lot of those details, Jaitea.
A lot of those markings are optional in place of paint.

What's worrying me is the aztecing to come

WOW.... that's a lot of Aztec Templates!!! Looking at the secondary hull made me think I would go insane trying to apply those.... Another thing that I have notice about a lot of these aztecs, is the pattern isn't random enough...You watch the movies and t.v. ships, and any hull plating panels you can notice are random. Not just step and repeat. :)

Trying to avoid 'painting' the aztecs if at all possible, actually.
Way too much tedious work, even with pre-made masks.

And Mike makes an excellent point about the masks vs. the 'model'

And if You chose to wait to the decals release for the aztecing, I think we are going to have a kind of a little grouhere bild here ;)
Oh, man, the more I look at this box and parts the more I have my hands itching to star this girl... :)

Okay, I freely admit that no actual construction has been done over the past week.
However, some supplies have been gotten, and some more solid planning has been done.

For some more of my lighting needs, I've picked up several colored 3mm LEDs from Miniatronics along with 24 1.5mm yellow LEDs to work for my running/registry lighting
revell-1701-500-07.jpg

While I'll likely not detail the shuttlebay, I've decided that I will be putting a bridge behind the windows in the upper saucer.
To this end, I scaled a bridge layout I found on the internet.
The "1.3" and ".9" are the actual dimensions I need to print this to when I go to start construction
revell-1701-500-08.jpg

As for the aztec plating, I'm going to be working with a slightly tweaked version of the set that Carlos Zangrando made available at Starship Modeler.
His decal set uses varied color plates rather than the two-tone setup found in most masking sets
http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/cz_mask.htm

Youtube link:
Revell 1-500 Enterprise Part Two

Latest posts

Back