Into Darkness Enterprise NCC-1701

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you about the parallel vs series thing.
However, this was an attempt, albeit misguided, to make the flashing circuit by avoiding chips.

I may change plans here and go with fiber optic for the marker lights like I did on the Odysseus build instead

Wow! You are really putting a lot of thought and planning into every step of this. I agree about the aztecing too. A two tone scheme is just boring. Good job!

You can get a wall wart at goodwill for pretty cheap. Just read the case for the voltage and the amperage. 9V is pretty common, so you won't have trouble finding one. And they are only a couple of bucks at goodwill.

All right, to start, here are the pics to go with Part Five of the update on the Enterprise.
I went in and added a coat of white to the interiors of the sections getting lighting.
revell-1701-500-18.jpg
revell-1701-500-19.jpg
revell-1701-500-20.jpg
revell-1701-500-22.jpg

With the saucer, I decided to only add the white to the sections around the perimeter windows
revell-1701-500-21.jpg

Soldered up the 1.5 mm LEDs with their resistors for the blinking running lights
revell-1701-500-23.jpg

Then I glued those LEDs into place on the upper and lower saucer.
revell-1701-500-24.jpg
revell-1701-500-25.jpg

As I mentioned in the video for part five, the circuit was just drawing WAY too much power as things sat, so I opted to remove the LED's and go a different route.

Which brings us to today's update, or part six.
Got two things in the mail after payday that should help things go a LOT more smoothly from here on.
The first was a roll of 50ft of 1mm fiber optic filament, which I'll be using for the running lights and hull marter lights.

The second was the photoetch set recently released by ParaGrafix for this ship.
It includes a basic bridge, impulse grills, a shuttlebay, and, most importantly for me, the nacelle fans
revell-1701-500-26.jpg

Got back to work by running fiber optic filaments for the blinking running lights in the lower saucer.
revell-1701-500-27.jpg

I've also drilled the missing marker lights into the lower sensor bay and run the fibers for them after gluing the sensor into the lower saucer.
(The small wrench you see in the pic is just to keep the fibers from sagging into the dome while the glue sets
revell-1701-500-29.jpg

I have also folded the bridge and given it a coat of light grey primer followed by a light black wash to bring out a little of the detail.
(Not too worried about getting super detailed here as the windo opening is only about 3/32 of an inch high)
revell-1701-500-28.jpg

Youtube link:
Revell 1/500 Enterprise Part Six

ModelMakerMike said:
Yes, I have seen some Starships that looked like they were Christmas trees, and light Blasting out of every porthole! a.k.a. window. ;)

Unless its a JJ Abrams movie. Then you can't tell where the light is coming from through the lense flares. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Q looks like it's going well.

Not much for this update, but there is at least some progress.

Using a drill in my Dremel and a file, I cleaned out the vents on the impulse engine, then glued the etch into place
revell-1701-500-30.jpg

Glued the bridge section into place to make lighting easier, as well as gluing down the plate for the impulse deck
revell-1701-500-31.jpg

Put a coat of black down the spine for a set of lights I'd neglected in my original plan-namely the ones along the spine.
Then I set down a strip of LED tape from ParaGrafix
revell-1701-500-32.jpg

Finally, in this update, I continued working on the wiring for the saucer lights.
Here's the latest 'spaghetti' I've put together. Still need to do a little more work here.
revell-1701-500-33.jpg

Youtube link:
Revell 1/500 Enterprise Part Seven

Not much to update, but I have completed the lighting in the lower saucer.
Got the final light circuit wired in and placed.
With this setup, no one circuit uses more than 9v at a time, allowing me to test the circuits as I go and still light the whole thing by battery if needed.
revell-1701-500-34.jpg

Light test from inside the saucer
revell-1701-500-35.jpg

Light test from outside the saucer with the saucer turned over to show the bottom surface
revell-1701-500-36.jpg

Youtube link:
Revell 1/500 Enterprise Part Eight

Oh, I know it is, John. It just tends to bring a build like this to a crawl with the 'fiddly bit' problem

With the lights switched off came the "Wow!"-effect! That just looks fantastic, man!
Keep it coming!

Tailor said:
With the lights switched off came the "Wow!"-effect! That just looks fantastic, man!
Keep it coming!

Yep, the lights look fantastic

J

Latest posts

Back