inprogress Tamiya Sd. Kfz. 251/9

Big-John

I thought I would share some pictures of my 251 I have been working on.

I started this model well over 18 years ago. I got as far as the interior painted and both hull halves attached before I put back in the box and got lost in time.

I have been away from the hobby for a long time, and found this in the stash after getting back in a little over a year ago. I have tried some new things on this and am not quite happy how its turning out, but, I have learned a few things that I can apply to my other projects.

I’m not done with it yet, but thought I would share some in progress pictures with you all.

I am currently painting and weathering a set of Dragon tracks for it. Plus I have some final detail painting to do yet.
IM005257.jpg

IM005433.jpg
IM005431.jpg
IM005447.jpg
IM005449.jpg
IM005753.jpg
IM005752.jpg
IM005754.jpg

18 years ago you started? Talk about not being a fast builder.
Empires have come and gone in that length of time. ;D

Tony lee :)

bj stop being hard on your self i think its bloody good, the weathering is real nice on it

Thanks Drummer

Ummmm, Yeah Tony, I'm VERY S.L.O.W.

Lord knows how many un finished models I have stashed away, I can think of at least 5.

Spud, It doesn't look bad in the pics, but up close and personal. it has some issues. But thats the main reason for finishing this, is practice.

' Im not happy with it ' !!!! I think that was a typing error wasnt it ??? Looks very good to me John ,I think you nailed the camo and the weathering is coming on sweet ;)....Stick at it fella ,but dont take another 18yrs ;D

Chris.

I'm thinking the same thing here BJ...she looks really nice!!! Hang in there on this one!!! ;D

Thanks guys!!

I’m gona get r done soon! I have until Dec. 1st to get it finished for a campaign on another site.

I’ll tell you what I don’t like about it. You can’t really see it in the pics, but I used Testors dullcote to seal in the enamels for weathering. And it really gave it a “rough” finish. I didn’t apply any gloss coat and the flat finish made it a real pain with the washes. If I had used a gloss base, then the washes would have flowed a little easier and would turn out more subtle. Save the dullcote for your final application to flatten it down.

Only 2 products were used to weather this ol girl. Migs “Dark wash” and 502 Abteilung oils “German three tone fading”.

Edit: One thing that I am happy about. I have always used the “heavy” dry brush method that I learned from Verlinden. This time, I tried the “fading oils” and am real pleased to get away from the dry brushing.

Love the faded camo and light weathering on this HT. Very cool. I have this kit somewhere, think I may have started it too.

Yep i've got the Dragon 3 in 1 kit of this one in the stash.

Sounds like a couple of lessons learned to me so that makes it worth while. 8)

I'm watching too
Tony lee

Spent this evening on the computer talking to you all, but I did manage to get a little painting done on the tracks. Let me know what ya think.

Base coat Polly Scale roof brown
Dark Wash
dry brushed with a mix of burnt umber oils and Model Masters Chrome Silver.

IM005757.jpg

The color looks good BJ. I thought the pads with the cleats were rubber????
I've only built the one half track ,the Diana, so someone else will have to verify that.

Getting late,see ya tomorrow buddy
Tony lee

Yeah, I know what ya mean Tony. I looked on the web last night and found that the late track with the cleated pads are all steel.

I'm glad I found that, I was prepaired to paint all those little pads black.

Yup, the cleated pads are all steel, (or whatever 'metal' the Germans used) the flat square pads are rubber, two different tracks. 8)

I agree with everyone else on the finish, the camo has a nice scale faded look as do the markings.

Tracks are looking good John. hah, I knew there would be something on ML that would help. Had to hit the sack last night, sorry to leave you hanging dude.

No worries Rob.

Trying to get one side fitted now. I may not have any hair left when I get done ::)

lol
dragon tracks are easy enough if i remember right thats what you were going to use

Latest posts

Back