Inflation coming do you stock up on model supplies?

Jim62

Let's do a hypothetical. If you know crazy inflation is coming your way, (maybe not so hypothetical) what would you look at stocking up on as far as the hobby goes. Let's not discuss kits, most have a stash so big it would last a lifetime. Supplies are what I'm curious about.

I'm leaning towards paint. It's what I replace the most. I just don't know how long an unopened bottle of Tamiya Acrylic will last in my basement.

yeah , you gotta be careful with some coatings and adhesives . Short shelf-life on some .
I had an unopened bottle of polyurethane additive completely solidify on the shelf in like 2 or 3 years . ( Mission Models )
Other various acrylics start to polymerize .

CA glue ( super glue ) has a finite life unopened - around a year in ideal conditions . I keep it in the fridge , just bring it to room temp prior to opening to avoid condensation acceleration issues .

I just re-stocked my masking tape . No shelf-life worries :D

Tape yes that's one I need anyway just slipped my mind. I wouldn't stock up on glue just because of short shelf life.

The solvent cements seem to last forever . The low viscosity stuff . I haven't had one of those goo-tubes around in centuries .
I always re-order when I get down to 2 or 3 bottles of Extra Thin .

I have a couple of tubes of testors orange tube I bought right when I got back to this. They are strictly back up if needed. I keep two bottles of Tamiya extra thin.

sheets of styrene..I buy the shower bases with the thin poly walls and upsell the client on ceramic tile surround...I've stock piled 3 sheets 30" x 65"..
as far as old paint..I find Testors goes bad the fastest.. Tamiya hangs around forever if you add the proper thinners to it once in a while...but paints cheap paints I would definitely stock up on, Micheals Craft Smart water based cheap @$$ stuff you can shoot it thru an a/b if you thin it properly.
Harvesting from old electronics is fun for wiring and scratch building .. no need to stock up,..what we buy wears out within a year anyway....lots of wires in them ol' logitech type mouses..lol
old testors tube glue tubes are the new age wine bottle lead wrappers for scratch building
Cheers

I tend to use army painter paints as well as the art deco brand and the folk art brand. Pretty inexpensive and I've got bottles that are over 2 years old and no problem. I can even use them in an airbrush without a problem, thinned of course. As for the glue I use the testor's thin cement (have 3 bottles) and I use the testor's glue in a tube (1 & 1/2 tubes).

I’m figuring any supplies, affected by petroleum
production.
Evergreen plastic springs to mind.
Kit production in the long run.
Then anything you get from overseas. Energy
increase will affect transportation from overseas.
Mr. Leveling thinner and Tamiya paints, would be two of my ‘land of afar’ concerns.
Mr. Leveling has shot painfully upward in pricing
due to the Coof and I just ordered a third bottle from Hobbylinc. A year ago it was holding at
$12USD, the last one I got from Sprue Brothers was $15 past fall. $14 at HLinc. last week.
SB at $16

Latest posts

Back