I want to make an oil slick...

phoenix

I'm yet again, resuming work on my diesel shop diorama...now that I have my pigments, I have "pigmented" almost every model in my collection. Now, I'm wanting to make a moderate oil slick for under the wrecked truck in my diorama. How can I make one that doesn't look like one of those gag dog poops you leave on random public tables? I would like it to retain a glossy wet oily look, and look like real oil on the ground (which is like a linoleum-type stuff I got at Home Depot). I thought about painting black acrylic, but it always leaves little ridges and brush marks. Any ideas?

What paint do you have available to you?

Vallejo has a Smoke color, which is basically just a transparent black....works well for oil staining.

As well AK Interactive I believe have a oil and grime wash that would work also.

Ak interactive Fuel Stains would help Failing that i would mix a blackish brown and thin it to about maby 70% thinners, if you want it to have a glossy look use gloss paint or a bit of gloss varnish after painted, gloss would prob work better.

AK interactive Fuel stains & fresh oil would work well :)

Chris.

A clearcoat of enamel over flat enamel would work - you'd have to practice on scrap first like anything else before you apply it where you want it to be. Acrylic with enamel works best because the two aren't absorbed by one another, and the clear coat gives it that wet look. This way it will be black in colour without being too dull. Oil can never be too shiny! It's wet in its' permanent state, so have at it with enamel - Testors clearcoat works best.

I have a few MIG pigments...and smoke is one of them. That's the one I've been using mostly. I love the effect! I do have some acrylic paint left over from when I painted (on canvas). I do also have acrylic testors, and enamel testors in the little jars. I have a gel stuff that you're supposed to mix with acrylic paints to make them behave like oils. I tried that to make mud, but it dried matte.

add some gloss or semi gloss to the mixture or just paint it with the varnish after

Latest posts

Back