I found the carpet monster

Pantherman

Well i have heard it mentioned and after only 4 months of modeling it found me!! I now feel the pain of fellow modelers, and in a weird way I feel that I'm now accepted. Having spent almost an hour trying to locate the little devil that escaped I thought hang on, your a trained craftsman so get off the floor and just make another part. Took me half the time I spent looking for monsters lunch !!
Irishvic

This is why I do not have carpet in my house! It's all hard tile floors. I don't know how many times I too have had small parts that I made go missing into the void that is the house that I currently live in. It's easier and less time to make a new one most times. Once in a very great while I'll find what I lost again but rarely. It's easier to take some visqueen (plastic sheet) and spread it over the work area secured with tape than it is to have carpet that swallows small parts forever!

I've only lost one piece permanently. And it is weird how it happens. I had reaaaallly low pile carpet, seriously no room to eat a piece.

I tore my room apart, removed couches on the other side, flipped said couches after pulling cushions, it's mind boggling.

That being said I GENERALLY have decent luck finding dropped pieces by taking my 3 cell Maglite, laying it on the ground and rolling it to cast sideways shadows across the carpet. This usually lets me see my dropped piece... and how badly I need to vacuum.

I've only lost one piece permanently. And it is weird how it happens. I had reaaaallly low pile carpet, seriously no room to eat a piece.

I tore my room apart, removed couches on the other side, flipped said couches after pulling cushions, it's mind boggling.

That being said I GENERALLY have decent luck finding dropped pieces by taking my 3 cell Maglite, laying it on the ground and rolling it to cast sideways shadows across the carpet. This usually lets me see my dropped piece... and how badly I need to vacuum.
I did the crawling about on the floor with my phone light and magnifier. Nothing but fluff and other bit's of stuff. Pity the carpet monster isn't hungry for that, would save me having to vacuum it at the weekend
Irishvic

Parts don’t always end up in the carpet. I had a flat triangular part about the size of a quarter that fit under the forward wing cowl of a Klingon Bird of Prey go missing one time. Looked all over the garage floor to no avail so ended up making a better part from scratch. Weeks later I was going thru my stash of styrene sheet which hung off the side of the hobby cart adjacent to my work bench in a converted file folder organizer. There it was stuck in between the sheets of styrene at the bottom of the organizer. I had the parts arrayed on top of the hobby cart and it must have slid off into my stash without my noticing. Still have the part, it’s in my scratch building drawer now.

Last edited:
I know that a lot of you guys build models - I mean from boxes but I build from scratch a lot. This means that if I lose a part I have to make it all over again! I also build from a kit most of the time but there are times when I have to build from a kit that has missing detail so I scratch those parts. However I do not have carpeting in my bedroom or any other room in the house but I still manage to lose small parts any way. :rolleyes:

Well i have heard it mentioned and after only 4 months of modeling it found me!! I now feel the pain of fellow modelers, and in a weird way I feel that I'm now accepted. Having spent almost an hour trying to locate the little devil that escaped I thought hang on, your a trained craftsman so get off the floor and just make another part. Took me half the time I spent looking for monsters lunch !!
Irishvic
My first thought was I should be very careful. And only the parts I’m working with, out in front of me.
Well, so much for that. With my first and current build, I cut off a small clear plastic, and it jumped. The little bugger had wings.
He sure did keep me very busy and frustrated. Luckily I found it.
WD

My first thought was I should be very careful. And only the parts I’m working with, out in front of me.
Well, so much for that. With my first and current build, I cut off a small clear plastic, and it jumped. The little bugger had wings.
He sure did keep me very busy and frustrated. Luckily I found it.
WD
Welcome to the pack brother.
Irishvic

LOL
you don't even need it stuck to the work-top , just having that " flag " of tape stuck to the part and the sprue or only the part adds enough mass and air resistance to keep it in the neighborhood --- and if it does zoom away it won't be far and it's much easier to spot with that tape stuck to it .

LOL
you don't even need it stuck to the work-top , just having that " flag " of tape stuck to the part and the sprue or only the part adds enough mass and air resistance to keep it in the neighborhood --- and if it does zoom away it won't be far and it's much easier to spot with that tape stuck to it .
I’m gonna Make money! How about glow in the dark masking tape? Then you can go look for it in the dark. “Hey babe! Look all the fairy lights!”

Latest posts

Back