How to remove paint.

GvendurE

Hi dudes umm i messed up a paint job and need to do a repaint.
Can anyone tell me how to remove enemal paint from models.
I cant fined anything on this on the forum but if its there can you direct me to it.

Thanks
GvendurE

I've used Easy-off oven cleaner before. I just put the parts with some Easy-off in a zip lock plastic bag approximately 24 hrs. After everything has had a good soak and the paint has softened, I remove the paint using using an old toothbrush. Last, I give all the parts a really good rinse with water.

I would look up Model man tom on youtube. He tried simple green to remove paint. Takes a bit longer than easy off, but way less toxic. I have also head of people using Castors super clean an engine degreaser. Like easy off, it is toxic.

Is it bad enough that you need to remove it? Unless you caked it on a good coat of primer will wipe the slate clean so to speak.

GvendurE said:
Hi dudes umm i messed up a paint job and need to do a repaint.
Can anyone tell me how to remove enemal paint from models.
I cant fined anything on this on the forum but if its there can you direct me to it.

Thanks
GvendurE

Fast = Brake Fluid
Pretty Fast = Easy Off (get the fumeless stuff, it's easier on the nose)
Long = Simple Green Concentrate

Any of these will work. For Brake Fluid and Over Cleaner, it's pretty fast but you HAVE to watch it or it'll eat the plastic.

For Brake Fluid I THINK you soak it, but you better look it up on youtube. I'm not sure as I never tried it.

For over cleaner, you put it in a zip block bag (if it fits) or enclose it in something. Spray it on and let it do it's work. Check back every few hours and see if the paint is sliding off. It takes about a day or so to get rid of everything.

Simple Green Concentrate is how I use to get paint off warhammer figures. That takes a few days soaked in it.

All these can be found on Youtube. :) They'll tell you how to do it. I'm not sure about the brake fluid stuff. It's just weird for me to soak plastic in that stuff.

Never thought of brake fluid, and since it will take the paint off of your car, I am not surprised that people are using it for models. Nasty stuff brake fluid......

Grendels said:
Never thought of brake fluid, and since it will take the paint off of your car, I am not surprised that people are using it for models. Nasty stuff brake fluid......

I know right? That's why I was a bit hesitant on used that until I ran into the over cleaner tech

I have melted a couple of models with DOT 3 brake fluid, it is also a pain to get off the plastic to prep for repainting.

I will add one thing, I have messed up more than one paint job in the last 6 months. What I have always done is sand the paint off. Unless you have details that you are afraid of losing, that is what I would do.

sunsanvil said:
Is it bad enough that you need to remove it? Unless you caked it on a good coat of primer will wipe the slate clean so to speak.

This was my first thought as well.

Whenever I have made a mistake in a paint job that can't be fixed I simply re-coated it. I didn't even primer, just went right over the existing base coat.

Unless the paint job is really really think or full of runs or something, I never understood the need to strip.

If you check out my web page you can find a half dozen articles on removing paint. I have more info on removing paint than putting paint onto models! Most of it applies to miniatures, but they will work on models as well. Although I am not 100% sure about removing enamel paint. However the worst that could happen would be the paint doesn't come off.

Castrol super clean is the best. However I am not sure it is still called by that name. Last time I bought some it was "Purple Power" or something. Just look for a giant purple bottle of concentrated cleaner. A 3 day soak will remove even years old paint. If we are talking about a big plastic kit, then perhaps spraying it every few hours and sealing it is a large plastic bag will work.

Simple Green is suppose to work just as well as the purple stuff. Never tried it though since I've had purple juice.

Brake fuild does work, but takes a little longer. The bad part is it's toxic. Also you are not suppose to dump it down the drain. Also be careful using it on resin. It should be fine soaking for a week or so but no more. Many years ago I was soaking a model and got real sick (flu, not from the fuild) and forgot about it for a month. I ended up with a puffy Armorcast Reaver titan.

Over cleaner will work but it is far from my favorite. It stinks, it's messy, and it doesn't work as well as the others.

Thanks dudes I am sure I can use some of these tips. Not sure i can find some of these brands here in in the UK I´l see. I use a brush so the paint is a bit thik, I might just sand it down and then repaint it.

Thanks guys u rock.

Latest posts

Back