How to achieve a weathered look on minis?

fubar

Hi all

I am in the process to starting a new WH40K army of renegade Space Marines, not one of the old traitor Legions but a warband made up of marines who have only just abandoned their various Chapters and lead by one of The Fallen.

The look im after is one of defaced/worn/damaged suits of armour, i would like to try and have it so that their armour has traces of their old livery's underneath the new colours of the warband. I have already tried to achieve this look by painting a figure in one style then over painting it with a very thinned down new colour so as to allow the previous colours to show through but it just didn't look right at all. Are there any tips or tricks to achieving this effect....i have tried YouTube but didnt find much of use regards figures, there were some nice whitewash effect vids for AFV's though and i guess its a similar technique i need to use.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TTFN

Will the rock salt method work on minis that small? Still its worth a try! :)

TTFN

try a soft wire brush with 92% alcohol on it just hit it in the spots you want to remove paint.

so what you do is paint the 1st logo clear coat it paint 2nd logo cleat coat let all dry 24hr.

take wire brush dip in alcohol hit the logo where you want to remove it.

i would try it on some styrene 1st to get it down but it works well i use this for rust under paint on ork stuff all the time

Check out some of the videos on youtube by guys in the War Gaming Consortium (i think thats what its called)
They have some great videos that are simple and easy to follow ways of getting some amazing effects.

i am part of the War Gaming Consortium website fourm group and what posted is one of the tips there harder ways of doing it i can post them if you want

Yes please.....i do use YouTube a lot but theres sooooo much stuff its all to easy to miss the really good vids.

TTFN

Latest posts

Back