How lucky can you be?

f2k

Good question, right…?

Well, yesterday I took my usual evening-round in the neighborhood, getting some fresh air after yet another day spent in front of the computer. And, just as usual, I stopped for a moment at the local scrapheap to see if there was anything interesting. It is, as I have found, incredible what people will throw out. And with a bit of ingenuity quite a lot of it can find a use in the local model-train club or on my work-bench.

And yesterday I certainly hit paydirt…

One of my friends got himself a 1/16 scale Heng Long Tiger a few months ago and since then I’ve been wondering if I should get one too. I like RC and I like Tigers, so what’s not to like about it? Except, that is, the cost…

But guess what I found in the scrapheap? Not one, but two, Heng Long Tigers. Both were in a rather sorry state, but with an evening’s work me and my friend managed to assemble a complete tank. And, best of all, now we got lots of spare parts...

We still need to test the electronics thoroughly. And the rear needs to be replaced. But apart from that it’s now a complete RC tank.

I’ve been wondering if I shouldn’t hit it with a quick burst from my airbrush, turning the grey colour-scheme into a more period-accurate desert-camo. Might not be such a bad idea...

about 15 years ago my dad found an extremely rare Saito steam powered ship in a garbage heap.
he restored it and we enjoyed it for years before selling it on ebay for a small fortune.
it looked like this one..
hercules1.jpg

On the flip side, he also had an original run Tamiya 1/25 TIGER I with full interior, which for some reason was stored in a chest of drawers that was thrown out to the curb. lost forever :(

Sometimes I just can’t believe the kind of society we’re living in right now. Seriously, the kind of things that people will throw out...

I blame the rampant consumerism. Buy. Consume. Discard. Repeat.

Anyway, I better not get started on a political speech or I won’t stop for the next few thousand works...

I just stopped by to post a couple of pics that I snapped with my mobile while we were working on the tanks.

f2k,

WoW !! That Blows My mind that someone just threw these out in th trash ..... Perhaps it was someone's Parents & Little Billy was a Bad Boy & Mommy got her knickers in a knot & threw them Out ???

Again ... Great Score !! GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL !!

Rio goal (greatest goal call ever)

Might be... In fact, that was my first thought, but on closer examination...

As we’ve been working our way through the electrics it’s become obvious that someone’s been modifying the electric package. Something which I doubt a kid would do. But, of course, I can’t know for sure…

By the way, just noticed that I had posted the same picture twice so I edited the post to show the correct picture.

Tiger factory... :-D

The front Tiger is an almost complete tank with all electronics as well as sound and smoke systems installed. But, as I said earlier, we’re still working our way through the electrics to see if there’s anything that needs fixing and the rear certainly needs to be replaced.

I am, in fact, thinking about repainting it. It’s a fairly early model with full tropical filter so it would be far more appropriate for it to be painted in desert camouflage.

There is, of course, also the option of beginning to upgrade the whole lot. To be honest, the quality of the tank is so-so… However, totaling the cost of upgrading it, I might as well get a full-option Tamiya tank. And that would, at the very least, be an accurate replica of the Tiger…

Latest posts

Back