how about WWII Canadian armour kits???

noname

I'm wondering if anybody here has some knowledge of this topic. I'm looking for some 1/35 armour kits that would represent Canada in WWII. So far I know the Tamiya Universal Carrier would work with some AF decals. The Bronco Staghound would be fine. The Tamiys M3 kit comes with Canadian decals but I'm not sure how accurate it is. Also, Canadians used Sherman tanks. However all the built Shermans I see on other sites usually have AF turrets and whatnot. I'm looking for kits that are farily accurate right out of the box. I was told that Dragon has a Sherman Firerly vc that comes with Canadian markings. Has anybody here done any research on WWII Canadian armour and kits? Thanks.

HOWEVER!!!

During WWII alot of stuff was lend leased from the US, and alot of countries used Lend Leaced Shermans as you stated, the Canadians used alot of lend leaced British things as well, i think the Canadians extensively used the Enfield rifle. a few other popular lend leaced things where the Willies jeep, and the Deuce and a half.

also the canadians also used P-51D mustangs and spitfires as well when it comes to the fighter catigory, i will see what i can dig up for Canadian tanks.

also check out the Canadian RAM II Tank, it was basically a M3 Chassis with a different turret. looks almost like the M-4 Sherman except the turret is more square instead of rounded.

Here is a good link about WWII Canadian Armor

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/can/Canada.htm

Just because Canada was part of the British Commonwealth, didn't mean that equipment from the lend lease program filled our ranks. Most of what we used was build here in Canada.

Most of the Spitfires that won the BoB were built in Canada, as well as most of the Lancasters, Halifax, Mosquitos, etc.

P51s were used, but not many in WWII, mostly after the war to replace the warn out Spits.

While there were some Canada designed tanks that no one else used (Ram, Ram II, Skink, Grizzly, and Otter just to name a few) we also used most of the main stream stuff that the US and UK used also. M4A1, A2, A4, M10, Churchill I, III, IV, V, VII, Vc Sherman, M5A1 Stuart, Matilda II, Crusader, Dingo and Lynx. Most of these were the same whether they were in use with Canada, UK or US, just specific markings for their country.

Elm City Hobbies said:

Just because Canada was part of the British Commonwealth, didn't mean that equipment from the lend lease program filled our ranks. Most of what we used was build here in Canada.

Most of the Spitfires that won the BoB were built in Canada, as well as most of the Lancasters, Halifax, Mosquitos, etc.

P51s were used, but not many in WWII, mostly after the war to replace the warn out Spits.

While there were some Canada designed tanks that no one else used (Ram, Ram II, Skink, Grizzly, and Otter just to name a few) we also used most of the main stream stuff that the US and UK used also. M4A1, A2, A4, M10, Churchill I, III, IV, V, VII, Vc Sherman, M5A1 Stuart, Matilda II, Crusader, Dingo and Lynx. Most of these were the same whether they were in use with Canada, UK or US, just specific markings for their country.

yep, i know you guys built alot of your own stuff, in fact, the guy who came up with the Design for the M1 Garand was Canadian!

Yes, good Canadian boy John C Garand designed it while working for Springfield Arms.

I actually have one of these fine weapons! Unfortunately the previous owner didn't much care for the heavy wooden stock and replaced it with a lighter black fiberglass one.

Just google 'Canadian armor WWII' and you'll find tons of information. Places like Maple Leaf cater to Canadian armor and many other large sites have several pages on specific countries contributions.

You also aren't restricted by the kits decals, companies like Archer fine transfers sell sets which can be used with many different vehicles which may not come with Canadian markings. For example, you could buy an Allied half track from Dragon and use these sets to mimic a photo of a half track in Canadian use.

Googling 'Canadian armor WWII images' will find you period photos of vehicles used. You could then buy any kit of any vehicle you find, regardless of the decals included, and use sets like what Archer offers to build to suite.

Elm City Hobbies said:
Yes, good Canadian boy John C Garand designed it while working for Springfield Arms.

I actually have one of these fine weapons! Unfortunately the previous owner didn't much care for the heavy wooden stock and replaced it with a lighter black fiberglass one.

my friend has a M1 Garand!

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I found it a bit confusing when I saw other people's builds with resin this and kitbashed that. I know the Canadians did use their own turrets and whatnot on a number of amoured vehicles. Alot of the web sites I had found weren't very specific. So I was looking for some still available kits that would be fairly accurate right out of the box. I don't know enough about the topic to know what is accurate.

Apparently decals are not a problem. I see a company called Ultracast mentioned alot for decals. I have a look at the site Scott posted as well as a couple I found last night.

Elm City Hobbies said:

found this while searching for something else so necropost activate! there were no Spitfires built in Canada (officially, there may have been one or two built from wrecks or salvaged)

If you want info on Canadian military items in WW2 this will tell you pretty much all you need as to where it came from etc. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_equipment_of_the_Canadian_Army_during_the_Second_World_War#Tanks

Good list, some of the numbers are a little suspect. Pretty sure we had more than 8 Spitfires in inventory during WWII!

Here is another site with good info.

http://www.canadiansoldiers.com/vehicles/tanks/mainbattletanks.htm

Jim

I agree some numbers you have to wonder about :) it's good for the types though I swear we still used some of the stuff when I was in lol

While back I built An Achilles tank destroyer, which was a U.S. M10 with a 17 per. gun. Kit was from AFV Club and came with Canadian markings.

Bullet21 said:
While back I built An Achilles tank destroyer, which was a U.S. M10 with a 17 per. gun. Kit was from AFV Club and came with Canadian markings.

Only difference (well I am sure there were others, but major difference) between the US M-10 and the British/CDN Achilles was the gun.

US M-10 (M4A2 chassis) and M-10A (M4A3 chassis) had the 3" gun

UK/CDN Achilles had the 17pdr. As well there were differences in the Achilles vehicles as well as the Achilles IC was based on the M-10 and had a diesel engine, while the Achilles IIC was based on the M-10A and had a gas engine.

Latest posts

Back