Hover Car Scratch Build

RobShouts

Hi all!

This is my first post here, so go easy on me. I've been building models on and off throughout my life, but I've really become interested in scratch building vehicles lately, mostly sci-fi. I'm a themed entertainment designer by trade, so I'm used to drawing these types of things, but this is my first foray into scratch building anything outside of a simple site plan.

Being that it's my first try, I thought I'd buy a cheap model and try to turn it into something else by way of scratch building and kitbashing in order to learn the hobby before trying a full on, original build. The premise: using a mid-century model car, imagine a future where technology has afforded people the opportunity to convert their existing vehicles into flying cars (a la The Fifth Element, Blade Runner, etc).

Here we go.

Photo%2BMar%2B18%252C%2B2%2B02%2B40%2BPM.jpg
I started with a 1/25 1950 Olds Custom. Sanded off most of the trim and any line that gives away this model having a vinyl top, plugged the rear fender skirts, removed seam lines, and started adding exterior details.

Photo%2BMay%2B08%252C%2B8%2B53%2B45%2BAM.jpg
Sci-fi-looking details.

Photo%2BMar%2B15%252C%2B4%2B09%2B04%2BPM.jpg
Started working on the large, rocket engines that will propel the car. 1/2" PVC coupling, large and small water bottle caps, and styrene half rounds.

Photo%2BMar%2B18%252C%2B2%2B01%2B32%2BPM.jpg
Added whatever this PVC piece is to the top. Yay, hardware stores!

img_1963.jpg
I cut a piece of outdoor sprinkler plumbing in half with my Dremel. The piece on the right will be placed inside the end of the rockets.

Photo%2BMay%2B08%252C%2B10%2B27%2B11%2BPM.jpg
I've learned I'm not that great at scratch building small mechanical details, but that's what this project is for. Anyone have any suggestions on greebling engine details?

Photo%2BMay%2B08%252C%2B9%2B17%2B34%2BAM.jpg
Onto the cockpit/interior (I warned you I jump around a lot). I've destroyed the inside of the doors and began adding an exposed frame to give the impression that the car needed to be stripped down to make room for all the instruments needed to operate rocket engines. I immediately regretted the destruction of the doors, but there's no going back now.

Photo%2BMay%2B07%252C%2B6%2B35%2B48%2BPM.jpg
I cut apart the existing steering wheel, added a rectangular piece to join the two halves back together, and built up small details to create more of an aviation feel. Prime time...

That's it for now. Tomorrow I have a free Saturday, so I'm hoping to get some major build time in. Being a newb, I have two main questions for all you lovely, talented builders out there:

1) Any suggestions on building small engine details? I bought a tank and a helicopter model for greebles, but even those pieces are a bit large for these engines.

2) This was basically my first time cutting styrene. I'm terrible. I bought one of those handheld tools for cutting angles, but does anyone know of a good/cheap jig for cutting longer, straight pieces of styrene?

Wicked. Welcome.

Get yourself some lead wire, available from Plus Models but cheaper from quality fly fishing shops. You can detail the engines easily with that stuff and add plumbing and wiring with it.

Looking cool.

Scott Girvan said:
Wicked. Welcome.

Get yourself some lead wire, available from Plus Models but cheaper from quality fly fishing shops. You can detail the engines easily with that stuff and add plumbing and wiring with it.

Looking cool.

Thanks for the heads up on that one! I'm on it!

What a fun looking project. The lead wire tip is a good idea. I'll have to look into that one as well. Thanks Scott.

Neat idea. I look forward to seeing more.

I think you're doing great with the small details. The steering wheel especially looks cool.

Latest posts

Back