Honda RC166 (1/12 Tamiya )

Chris S

Its a bit like being handcuffed to a lunatic !
Hobby Link Japan Review

OF

Tamiya 1/12 Honda RC166
product code TAM 14113
By Chris S

Hobby Link Japan Build Series - Tamiya 1/12 Honda RC166

A little bit of History .....

Honda started developing the 250cc 6 cylinder engine in a direct response to Yamaha's 2-stroke 2 cylinder machines that had 'Dethroned' Honda of the GP title in 1964 . However it was'nt until Mike 'The Bike' Hailwood joined the team in 1965 that Honda started to gain some ground on the Yamahas. The bike was then still an RC165 and Hailwood made his Honda debut at the Japanese GP and took an easy win in the 250cc class. He continued to ride the RC165 through to the 1966 season while the RC166 was being developed ,Hailwood having a lot of input on the new bike ,and indeed improving the RC165 at the same time .
Just in time for the Isle of Man TT in 1966 ,the new bike was ready .Hailwood had already won every race of the 66' season on the old bike and then went on to take the RC166 victory at the Isle of Man TT and the Italian GP ,meaning he had won 10 out of 10 races that year .Also in that season Honda managed to capture the Manufacturers title in all five classes from 50cc to 500cc !
1967 was Honda's last GP season in the 1960's ,That year saw some fierce battles between the Yamahas and the Hondas again ,But Mike The Bike prevailed again ,and defended the Crown for Honda .

Here is a great little vid of the sound of the RC166 in full song ,turn your speakers up and just listen ....Glorious !!

Honda 1966 GGPP history RC166 250 six cylinders

The Kit Contents .......

Sprues
1 Black ABS
1 Black Rubber
1 White
2 Grey/Silver
2 Chrome (alloy)
1 Fairing (White)
1 Clear
1 Etch

Also included ....
Various screws & nuts
2 springs
2 solid rubber tyres
1 screwdriver
1 length of Black vinyl hose
1 clear hose .
1 Decal sheet
1 sheet of screwheads (for screen)
Instruction booklet & colour guide .

The Sprue Shots .......

DSCF1029.jpg

DSCF1045.jpg

DSCF1046.jpg

DSCF1047.jpg

DSCF1048.jpg

DSCF1051.jpg

DSCF1053.jpg

DSCF1055.jpg

DSCF1056.jpg

DSCF1057.jpg

DSCF1054.jpg

DSCF1058.jpg

Conclusion ......
Tamiya are well known for producing a great series of 1/12 scale Motorcycles,I have built a number of them in the past and never once had a problem with them ,they all went together with no issuse and they look fantastic when finished .I dont see this one being any different with the exception of the front mudguard which is molded in two halves,however Thats a minor niggle as careful sanding/filling should see it go together well .
All in all ..The parts look good with no flash and only very light seam lines to deal with .The etch parts are well detailed and should add to the bike ,as will the finely printed Decal sheet .
I am looking forward to the build :)

Thanks .....

I would like to thank Hobby Link Japan for supplying the review kit .
Also Scale Model Addict for giving me the chance to review & build the kit .

If you would like to purchase the Honda RC166 you can do so here ......

http://www.hlj.com/product/TAM14113

Thanks for looking .

Chris.

I'm most definitely on board with this build. should be a great one . knowing you Chris ;D

Nice Chris, i see you got an other Easy one :p

Done yet! ;D

What a really great review Mr. S!!! I have not done one of these before...but after seeing this I may have to add this to The List!! Those motor parts are amazing! ;)

Well I'm not a fan of motorcycles but I'm a fan of your work so I will be watching this one.
Cheers

Thanks for looking in guys :)

Having done a few of Tamiya's Bikes I reckon this should be a smooth build ,and looking at the parts ! ....I just wanna get started ;D ;D.

I must apologise for my absence on the boards lately , I do have a lot on at the minute so I havent had much time for posting ,Hopefully 'normal' ? service will resume shortly and I'll do my best to get caught up on everyone ;)

Chris.

love the look of that bike has real character, is it a new release ?
Lots of tricky lookin bits in there....I'm sure you will do it justice Chris.
Looking forward to the resumption of normal service :)

Really great review and a really sharp looking kit.

This should be cool.

Thanks guys :) ..Nice to have you all along .

Rookie ,its not new ( 2009) But still a kit thats well worth a look at ,and after seeing this one I really hope Tamiya start to produce a few more of the golden oldies :)

Chris.

CHRIS ,

How are ya Bro !! This kit looks Bangin' !! I'm lookin forward to seein it come together !!

\m/

Hey Erik ,

Im good bro ,hows you ? ...Thanks for looking in ;)

Chris.

Nice review Chris. I have thought before that if I were ever going to build a bike it would be this one. Man these old bikes have so much more character than the new ones in my opinion. The down turned bars, seat etc,., are real sharp. This should be a beauty. Is there only one colour combo you can go with these? Don't get me wrong, the colour is beautiful, just curious.

I agree, it sounds grand. Makes me wish I could hop on one and go through the gears just to listen to it. ;D

Hi Matt , sorry for the late reply mate , I've been of my feet for the last week after another Hernia operation ,but hoping to get a start very soon .

Its pretty much Silver & Red for this one ,the only different options are the numbers . But yeah ,Im with you .The old bikes have soo much more character to them .

Chris.

Hi folks ,

Got a little bit of a start on the Honda :)

The instructions as usual with the bikes starts with the engine ....So , I built the frame :) ,I done this to make sure its well dry for handling later on .
The Frame comes together quickly ,just two sides and the rear mudguard ,So once it was joined I got it primed up ......

DSCF1072.jpg

The primer was followed up with a couple of coats of Tamiya XF-1 and then X-22 Clear to give a nice deep shine .....

DSCF1077.jpg

I'll leave this to one side to dry while I get on with a few other bits :)

Thanks for looking .

Chris.

Really nice looking frame there Mr. S!!! Been looking through the HLJ site trying to decide on one of the two wheeled thingies!!! LOL...Its ALL your fault!!! ;D

Latest posts

Back