Home Made PCBs

TiM

Anyone make their own PCBs?

If I can't find someone who does - anyone have any ideas on the cheapest / easiest way to make my own?

TiM 8)

I don't, but there are a lot of videos on YouTube. It is pretty much like making your own photoetch parts.

I just finished making on this weekend for a LED effect. The method I used is an almost completely manual process as I don't have a setup to do photo-etch boards yet.

I created my traces with an application called "fritzing" which allowed me to save the output to a mirror image pdf.
I washed the copper board with Ajax to remove any oil or coatings on the copper and then transferred my traces to the copper. I used carbon paper to transfer the traces to the copper board, then re-traced the lines with a permanent Sharpie marker. After the ink dried, I put the board into ferric chloride solution to remove the excess copper from the board. To speed the process, I heated the solution by putting the etching container into a sink of hot water. I just gently agitated the solution and in about 15 minutes, I had the board done and was ready to wash off the board and drill the holes for the parts.

Latest posts

Back