HobbyBoss 1/16th Mid Tiger project WIP (Pic heavy)

SatchboogieUK

Hi Guys,

I completed the building of this project a good 6 months ago but I began working on a number of other 1/35th projects after that and this one ended up sitting on the back burner for far too long. Last week I decided to stick with this beast until it was finished. Its been a pretty expensive and time consuming project and i figured it'd be a crying shame to see it go unfinished.

I first decided I wanted to do this model when my dad was commissioned to build and paint one. I managed to get my hands on one for £55 with free shipping (it started out as a bargain!) and when I got my hands on it I started thinking over what I wanted the tank to look like. Then the scratch builder inside me went wild.

I ended up ordering a ton of upgrade parts for her and before I knew it, I realised that this was going to be a massive undertaking.

IMG_4303_zpsracypok1.jpg

IMG_4304_zpsgdo7cn2y.jpg

The first job was to remove the housing for the speaker under the engine deck;
IMG_4313_zpsac0giofb.png

IMG_4309_zpse6tc564k.jpg

IMG_4307_zpsoeuoxoxq.jpg

Then I had to cut all of the molded hatches, fenders and side skirts from their relevant places because I'd ordered a commander and loader figure for this project and wanted them to be situated inside their hatches. As for the skirts and fenders, I wanted to damage them and figured cutting them all off and replacing them with Voyager's brass versions would be a better idea than melting and bending the plastic ones.

IMG_4311_zpstyo1s9vi.jpg

(Note; Heng Long's Tiger II in this pic... another forgotten project :()
IMG_4310_zpscp3ydsbu.jpg

I damaged the stowage bin on the back of the turret too;
IMG_4316_zpsxogo0jyc.jpg

After a whole lot of cutting, drilling, filling and sanding, the project was coming along nicely and I was finally in a position where I could begin constructing rather than deconstructing;

IMG_4367_zpsbsipkvof.jpg

IMG_4365_zpss0e2rtva.jpg

IMG_4366_zps6dinkych.jpg
Note in the above pictures the none penetrating shell impacts I added and the removal of the two bulges on either side of the glacis plate which were meant to accommodate motors for RC conversion

IMG_4317_zps3qytlfia.jpg

Unfortunately the loader's hatch I bought to replace the molded one had no interior detail so I scratch built it (This was before I realised that the Voyager brass engine deck set contained all of these interior parts... C'est la vie);
IMG_4369_zpsguxd0bzu.jpg

IMG_5198_zpsr9nz6ge3.jpg

Here's a shot of the tank at that stage with the crew in place and the wheels and tracks assembled and dry fitted;
IMG_4383_zpsubkierui.jpg

I then decided to strip a few of the outer road wheels from the running gear and add the screw threads to simulate damaged wheels being removed in the field (I saw evidence of this on numerous pictures of early production Tigers in Otto Carius' book)
IMG_4384_zpsxda847bi.jpg

IMG_4385_zps1ntsyl5x.jpg

Then began the laborious task of the zimmerit application... bring on the Tamiya putty!!!
IMG_4425_zpsqhsec19r.jpg

IMG_4437_zpssk42cj3r.jpg

I also had to scratch build this part which fits in front of the loader's hatch because the kit part was pretty severely faulted;
IMG_5197_zpsz19jdxyk.jpg

Here are some shots of my progress with some of the brass parts completed, the crew in place, most of the white metal upgrade parts installed and the tools dry fitted on the hull;
IMG_5048_zpsrfm8r3ey.jpg

IMG_5049_zps8fmtgeld.jpg

IMG_5050_zpsyqsd07nv.jpg

IMG_5051_zpsn4em8n9y.jpg

IMG_5052_zpswewdvwdc.jpg

And finally, shots of the building more or less complete, with all of the brass fitted and ready for painting;
IMG_5174_zpssznfjitl.jpg

IMG_5175_zpsw2446uqu.jpg

with the construction and priming of the vehicle completed, I left this project for far too long, but recently as the nights are getting lighter I've had more time after work to paint, so here are some pics of this weeks progress;

Basecoat:
IMG_5728_zps1vy83upg.jpg

Light base;
IMG_5733_zpslidmv3ym.jpg

IMG_5732_zpsz6uie9xi.jpg

Highlight;
IMG_5743_zps6b8cmb3o.jpg

Next I intend to give her a tri-tone camo paint job and then a winter whitewash... then I'm going to make her incredibly muddy, Eastern front style!!!

Stay tuned for updates!

Cheers for looking,
All comments appreciated,
Jonny.

Thanks guys!

Making some progress on this one, I've finished the camo but The lighting on the pictures I took is awful so I have to wait until I can post some decent progress pictures.

Stay tuned!
Cheers,
Jonny.

Latest posts

Back