Here's another update. I'll be doing some masking later on today and then getting a coat of primer down.
The hatch issue - too thick and just wrong. The hinge/ spring assembly required to be cut free and rotated 180 degrees on it's horizontal axis, then flipped over into the recess to make it proper for an opened loader's hatch. As for thickness, they are not able to properly sit in the hatch rings properly as they are too big and the thickness of the molding required massive amounts of sanding to make it look proper.
The directions had this hatch on the commanders side and vice versa. Someone not knowing any better may make that mistake.
Ready for primer. Modifications to the mirrors as we always had them folded up and never used them at all.
Some clearance issues with the turret bustles and the rad intakes. I'll sort that out today with some gentle sanding. The PE in the kit isn't too bad, but I'm glad I made the extra purchases for the replica of my ride.
One thing to note - the turret bustle styrene frames were a bit warped. Gentle heat with hot water sorted them out.
I'm leaving the bird cage and mounts off for now so I can lay down the NATO tri colour and get the fun stuff like weathering underway. Once that's done, I'll mount the slat and do a final weathering/ dusting/ rusting.
Well, I've been plugging away at this little project on and off every day this past week. Work is getting in the way and some days, there just isn't enough time.
Especially with the visit from HRH tomorrow. Had to move around some Leo 2's over the past couple days. I'll be able to finally put them to bed late tomorrow afternoon.
Anyway, on with the update.
Finished priming, pre-shading and put on a base coat followed by the NATO tri colour. I think it turned out pretty well so far. I'm hand brushing in the finer details right now before I put on a coat of clear matt acrylic and start on the weathering.
Been really busy working on other things around the house for the past few days, so progress has been slow to say the least.
Decals are on and been secured using Vallejo's system and clear coated on.
Then there are the sprues of slat armour that took quite a while to prime and paint. It would be a lot easier doing it this way then trying to do it on a hard surface all laid out IMHO. at least this way there will only be minor touch ups and less chance of me screwing up how they are to be mounted.