Hobby Boss 1/35 152mm ShkH DANA vz.77

Elm City Hobbies

OK....might be biting off more than I can chew here with this, but the kit serves 2 purposes, 1 for this GB, and 1 for our military theme at out next show in May 2012, so if for some reason it doesn't get finished by the end of Feb....I still have a cushion for the end of May! LOL

This kit will be built OOB....no extras (unless a metal barrel become available for the kit in the next few months), and despite Eduard coming out with some great looking PE for the kit this month sometime, I am going to resist getting it, or I will never get the kit done.

Also, I have markings from Toro Model, for the Polish versions that served in Afghanistan which will be the focus of the build. Eventually it will be placed into a diorama, but unless I get it finished quickly, just the kit for the GB, but we will see.

On to the pictures....lots of parts in this one!!

IMG_7442-vi.jpg

IMG_7443-vi.jpg

IMG_7444-vi.jpg

willl be an interesting kit to see going together

Wow ...look at the size of that shooter :eek: Interesting looking machine !

Chris.

OK....a start on this today. Going to be a long haul on this kit, lots of parts!!

First up....the engine........

IMG_7478-vi.jpg

IMG_7479-vi.jpg

Main frame and platform that makes up the truck and that the turret sits on.........

IMG_7480-vi.jpg

IMG_7481-vi.jpg

IMG_7482-vi.jpg

And lastly, the frame with the engine installed, however not glued in, have to check my references to see what the color of the engine is. Instructions say metallic black, but for some reason, I believe the Tatra engines in these are a fairly bright color, like a orange/red.

IMG_7483-vi.jpg

In the end, I am not sure how much of the engine is actually visible once it is buttoned up, so doing much detail painting on it might be for not. Least I am not going all out and wiring and hosing it up! LOL

SCOTT,

Yeah Dude !! Cool lookin' AFV ! It's a Bigg'en Fo-Sho ! Glad to see you could join th Build !!

Excellent start. I have confidence you'll get this thing sorted out by the end of the GB. Good luck with it!!

Good start Scott . Looks like a nice piece of kit !

Chris.

Yeah, when I said that I checked my Tankograd book on the Dana, and the engine is basically black with aluminum cylinder heads among a couple of other pieces. I am not going to spend much time on detail painting and such in the engine, as I don't believe much of it can be seen once everything is buttoned up. And since this kit will represent one of the 3 Polish vehicles that were in Afghanistan, not going to see many of them on the "line" with the hood up! LOL

Well...today being Turkey day in Canada, I had planned on getting a bit of work done on this.

Well I did....but slow going. If you aren't a fan of kits with alot (and I mean alot of parts), then this isn't the kit for you.

Following pics are of the front suspension/drivetrain, no less than 50 parts make up this assembly. Heck I have whole kits here that don't have that many parts, and this is just the steering/front suspension/drivetrain assembly. Still have to do the rear assembly as well.

IMG_7484-vi.jpg

IMG_7485-vi.jpg

IMG_7486-vi.jpg

And the assembly fitted (but not glued) onto the frame

IMG_7487-vi.jpg

Run into a few things with the kit so far. One of the leaf springs doesn't really fit all that well. First one went in fine, but the other was hung up on part of the spring. Some minor cutting and it fit in OK, but is lifted on one side, despite it being level.

One thing I wish both Hobby Boss and Trumpeter would do is engineer these kits so the steering wheels can be poised if you want to, especially when they show it being that way on the box art. All the Trumpeter LAV25 series and Stryker series are the same way, although they are relatively easy to convert, the Dana would not be so easy, if at all possible.

One other problem I see so far is that the main frame rails are splayed apart farther at the front than just an inch or so in. One side of the truck assembly I have to slightly pry the frame apart for the posts to fit in the notches, while at the very front, it ends up being too wide. When I glued the frame rails to the bed, I had them clamped while they dried, and there is very positive holes that the frame rails go into, so really hard to move. So not sure if it is a problem with the kit, or operator error.

Likely the latter, and hopefully once the cab and such goes on, it won't be noticeable. As long as all 8 wheels touch the ground...I will be happy!! LOL

Wow ! now this is a Kit for the Dead of Winter !!! Impressive to see it coming together...

I love suspension work but... like you have said ! would like those wheels to be steerable !!! at least !!!

but the Tie Rods and linkage would be a nightmare to assemble !!!

Maybe some Brass Company out there will be making a conversion set ??? for those in need ?

Keep up the good work....

Looks good !

Playing catch-up Scott...somehow missed this. Tremendous effort too BTW!! That suspension is killer!!! ;)

Nice job! This looks really good, worth all the parts used for assembly, as the detalisation is superb.

Some more work done on this, drive-train and frame are at least coming together.

Finished work on the steering set of axles last week, now the rear drive axles (well not really drive as it is 8 wheel drive, but what else to call them!)

IMG_7488-vi.jpg

IMG_7489-vi.jpg

And the drive-train and transmission that connects the 2 axle sets.

IMG_7490-vi.jpg

IMG_7491-vi.jpg

And then everything together on the frame.

IMG_7492-vi.jpg

IMG_7493-vi.jpg

IMG_7494-vi.jpg

IMG_7496-vi.jpg

IMG_7497-vi.jpg

For the most part, all 8 wheels sit flush, one corner is off by about 1mm, but I don't think it is going to be enough to affect it, as the whole vehicle sits on it's lifting platforms, so depending on if the wheels actually touch the ground anyway, it may not be a problem in the end. And if it is....I should easily be able to apply a little heat to the set of wheels and gently bend them down a bit to level it all out.

Now it is at the point where I am going to have to give the frame and running gear a coat of black primer, as too much more on it and I won't be able to spray into the nooks and crannies. And since this is going to be a NATO 3 tone camo....any bare beige plastic will stick out like a sore thumb!!

Looking good Scott nicve and clean again :) 1mm isnt a lot to worry about but you will know when teh wheels go on for sure.

Latest posts

Back