HMCS ARROWHEAD

Grumpy Popeye

Hey guys,

Here's a little something I've been working on, it's an entry for the Centennial Corvette Model Contest, sponsored by the Canadian Naval Heritage Trust. Since I've built three of these boats in the past (Revell's 1/72 HMCS Snowberry), I decided to do something a little different, and make cutaway section, specifically, the engine room and two messdecks forward. Without further ado, here's some pics!

early stage of construction, the engine room opened up
102_5232.jpg

this hole will eventually become the forward messdecks
102_5234.jpg

this is the after bandstand, where I replaced the sidewall and added the spiderweb pattern
102_5237.jpg

and here we have my engine, a big honking scratchjob!
102_5241.jpg

Jump ahead a couple weeks, and here is the boat, about 65% done

102_5243.jpg

I had to hand draw the Arrowhead's gunshield art
102_5245.jpg

here's a shot of the messdecks
102_5248.jpg

the engine room,
102_5249.jpg

and this one was a bit of a surprise, as I forgot that I added a light to the bridge!
102_5250.jpg

Enjoy!

Yep, all the internal stuff is scratchbuilt. I used the book Anatomy of the Ship: HMCS Agassiz

The engine is mainly stacked layers of styrene, with the catwalks made out of clear styrene with the slats sribed in and highlighted with a black Sharpie marker (a man can do great things with a Sharpie!)

The messdecks were rushed a bit, I ran out of "official" build time, so they are missing some detail. I spoke to the people at the Memorial Trust, and they said that the end date isn't all that important, tehy just want the boats out in public to spread the word about he Centennial and the last corvette, HMCS SACKVILLE.

Since I have more time as a result, I am going to attempt to squeeze in some more detail.

My hobby club, Victoria Scale Modelers, is participating in the "Tourist in your own town", and we are going to be set up at the Naden Naval Museum this weekend. I'm going to try to get the boat to 90% done

Gotta agree with the others,great work,really like the paint work too.

Wow! That is an excellent job! I like your idea, too, to do something different. The engine room detail is really the best! And on the complete side, I agree with DK, I like how your weathering has come out. Just outstanding, an outstanding piece!

Superb stuff, darph. I had this kit kicking around in the loft for years but never finished it. Wish I had now ::), looking at the amazing job you've done with this one. Brilliant idea to open up the side of the hull to see interior detail 8).

Latest posts

Back