"Here's where the fun begins..." :-)

Looking very nice, and the subject of painting should be helpful to me

I did notice the red stripes look a bit different on the 32'' filming model:

stripesk.jpg

J

LOL! Thanks for noticing! I know I miss-masked those red stripes....I was half way watching the opening Olympic Ceromonies and masking...I'm adding it to the "fix it in the next round of painting" day.

Just found this thread and i must say what an incredibly clean build you have there sir 8)

The organization of your parts area is just, well, sickeningly, well.....you know.... organized ;D

I'm only jealous cuz i'm such a messy bugger ;D

Do you have any special washes 'n' stuff for the weathering stage?

Gag

sorry---no video series...didn't think about that.

And yes! I have many washes and "things" to try on this thing!

thanks scratchy!...............somebody riddle me this...If I poured the rest of my already mixed base coat paint for airbrushing in an airtight glass bottle and let it sit for about 3 weeks, why when I went to use it today for touch ups..was it a slightly different color when I airbrushed it???? I can't figure it out!

Yes. Model Master 50/50 mix 2 grey colors and thinner...obviously the paint had settled to the bottom of the bottle with the thinner on the top, but i stirred it up .

Yeah that happened to me actually....on the falcon funnily enough. I think it may be due to the stirring/mixing. I bent a piece of brass rod in an L shape and stuck it in my mini drill to give it a proper mix (be carefull of splash back though! ::))

Not the end of the world...just a shade different. It is the Falcon after all....LOL..Just sick of remixing paint for every single use. Oh well...guess there's no way around it!

UPDATE----ALL painting is DONE!! WHOOO HOOOO!!!! ;D It might not be a perfect match to the 32" studio scale model as far as I'm concerned..it's pretty darn close. 8) (especially considering the website I was using for reference pics went down and never came back about 2 weeks ago)

Many thanks to Mersajohn for bailing me out with a backup clear canopy! This one came out great! It's not glued into place yet, but you can see the nasty gap I will eventually have to deal with. I must say the cockpit pieces fit and finish is the only part of this kit that doesn't fit perfectly. :-\

[attachment deleted by admin]

Must say she looks beautiful nice and clean, next comes the weathering!

Brilliant work derex

J

Excellent work buddy, and I'm glad you Recieved the canopy ok. Nice to see that you've done the tanned panels, these often get overlooked, but they realy make it IMO. Now you just have to go over it with all the little lines and dots! :-X ;D

yeah...it was always the plan to do them...and they are even about 3 different shades of grey due to paint mixing. I still DEFY anyone to mix 2 colors togther for airbrushing more than once and have it be the exact same color...It simply IS NOT possible. LOL. :p

thanks! I went to attach the sidewalls last night which in my brain was gonna be a 5 minute job...umm no...the curved walls go on fine. The 4 straight sections on the mandibles are proving more difficult oddly. Will try to get those on and my PE grills all on by the end of the weekend coming up and post a couple of pics of all that goodness. 8)

UPDATE! Here we are! Final Assembly of the 2 halves was a bit nerve racking...but all came out well...everything is now "on" the ship save the canopy parts. Stuck all the photoetch on this morning with Future and gave it the old "upside down and shake lightly" hold test. Nothing fell out, so I'm calling it good! Now....I just have to start the weathering...which starts with clear coating...which I really don't like to do. Maybe next weekend! 8)

Official LOST or broken parts tally ::)....Lost 1 TINY little greeblie that no-one will ever know about anyway that went somewhere on the top of the engine parts, and 1 litte tiny "H" part that goes on a sidewall part snapped in half as I was cutting it off the sprue and flew God knows where..I tried to scratch build one, but I'm not sure I'm happy with it. Might just pop it off. Not to bad of a total if you ask me! ..anyways..PICS!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Latest posts

Back