Hello modelers

GCB

Hi,
I am a new passionate person for models and started building my first ones 1 year ago... Started with a M1 Abrams, then F4U Corsair, then Jgsdf, M-ATV, F-14, F-4 and finally F-16 in 1/32 scale.
Lots of errors and learning the hard way but making progress...
I started using Tamiya primer spray, then moved to Mr Hobby Surface finisher 1500. Using mostly Tamiya acrylic paints but for the last 2 (F4 and F16) I started using Mr Hobby lacquers and quite happy with the results.
My main challenges are the decals (cannot get rid of the silvering even after gloss varnishing) and the weathering: never know if too much, not enough...
Anyhow, let me show you some pics of my models and looking forward to your comments and tips.
Please note that due to problems with decals, I often had to use a mix of various ones, ending up with emblems or numbers not reflecting the true ones...
Enough talk, first pics of the vehicles...

Attachments

• Desert with 3 -RS.jpg
    Desert with 3 -RS.jpg
    455.8 KB · Views: 12
  • M-ATV FRONT - RS.jpg
    M-ATV FRONT - RS.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 12
and last one, the F-16 1/32

Attachments

• F16 Side full - RS.jpg
    F16 Side full - RS.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 7
  • F16 Side detail decal - RS.jpg
    F16 Side detail decal - RS.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 7
  • F16 Reactor - RS.jpg
    F16 Reactor - RS.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 7
Hi,
I am a new passionate person for models and started building my first ones 1 year ago... Started with a M1 Abrams, then F4U Corsair, then Jgsdf, M-ATV, F-14, F-4 and finally F-16 in 1/32 scale.
Lots of errors and learning the hard way but making progress...
I started using Tamiya primer spray, then moved to Mr Hobby Surface finisher 1500. Using mostly Tamiya acrylic paints but for the last 2 (F4 and F16) I started using Mr Hobby lacquers and quite happy with the results.
My main challenges are the decals (cannot get rid of the silvering even after gloss varnishing) and the weathering: never know if too much, not enough...
Anyhow, let me show you some pics of my models and looking forward to your comments and tips.
Please note that due to problems with decals, I often had to use a mix of various ones, ending up with emblems or numbers not reflecting the true ones...
Enough talk, first pics of the vehicles...
Which version of Abrams have F2 Decal?

and last one, the F-16 1/32
Hi and welcome to the forum. Your builds are looking good to me. All a learning curve for us. I'm often getting things wrong but who really cares as long as you have fun.

I use microset and microsol for decals, never had an issue. Pantherman

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230222_174803_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230222_174803_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
thanks Pantherman... I use same Micro set/Sol however cannot get rid of the silvering.
Wrong water used?

I use tamiya mark fit strong it gives nice coverage without any silvering but it's really easy to tear away your decals. I've lost so many decals because of mark fit strong.

Urumomo is the man for this, far more experienced than myself. Pantherman
LOL
We are discussing it here --> https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/decal-help.15014/#post-220900
I've never had this issue .
Now I've certainly come across bad decals that were brittle and/or the adhesive had degraded so they were weren't going to stick to anything very well .

I don't buy the air under the decal reason .
I don't know how you could get that much air under a decal with proper application .
Plus . I've microsol'd down decals atop all kinds of terrain , including 1/35 Zimmerit .
I don't believe the film is gas impermeable when saturated with decal solution either .
Not saying air is never the reason but ...

The problem once the decal is affixed with those delaminated portions present is the tented area can't be flattened without debonding the surrounding film to allow it to spread out .

LOL
We are discussing it here --> https://www.scalemodeladdict.com/threads/decal-help.15014/#post-220900
I've never had this issue .
Now I've certainly come across bad decals that were brittle and/or the adhesive had degraded so they were weren't going to stick to anything very well .

I don't buy the air under the decal reason .
I don't know how you could get that much air under a decal with proper application .
Plus . I've microsol'd down decals atop all kinds of terrain , including 1/35 Zimmerit .
I don't believe the film is gas impermeable when saturated with decal solution either .
Not saying air is never the reason but ...

The problem once the decal is affixed with those delaminated portions present is the tented area can't be flattened without debonding the surrounding film to allow it to spread out .
Yeah, sorry about that. Didn't realise it was also on the other thread. Pantherman

Welcome!!!!!
Your work is looking great, I've been at it since 2019. Dig around the older posts for ideas and solutions, so much info here.
Keep in mind, some kits you build, some kits build you.

Guys,
In addition to my decals issues, I would like to ask questions on a P-51D Mustang (Tamiya 1/32): metallic paint, tips, etc... . Where should i post those questions?

Latest posts

Back