Hello from Virginia

Evilbert

So after about 15 years, I have decided to get back into scale modeling. I served in the Navy and aboard the USS Wasp LHD-1 and my wife was out shopping and found a Gallery Models 1/350 of the Wasp. So she bought it. Little did she know that it was going to get me into the hobby again. So before jumping into the big ship, I bought a Revell 1/48 F-14 Tomcat to start out with.

I have nothing. But doing some research on the forum, I have come to realize what I need to have in order to do a great job on my old ship. So starting out with the F-14 and possibly some other smaller projects - I know I need at least the following:

Tamiya ultra thin cement
some small clamps
gator clips
table light
magnifying lamp
various tools (i.e. exacto, scissors, etc)
toothpicks
silly putty or similar
quality airbrush (Velocity, etc) and compressor (w/tank - thinking TC-20T??)
paint (obviously)
brushes, etc
Future
thinners (windex, alcohol, etc)

I know some will argue that I do not need an airbrush. But the Wasp is BIG and painting by hand that large of a space will likely result in a crappy job. So an airbrush would be the best choice for that and I want to get comfortable with it before taking on the big project. I am probably going to do a few more smaller projects before taking on the Wasp project.

here is a link to some a gallery of someone who already completed the Wasp 1/350
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/am/lhd/350-khj/khj-index.html

Hello and Welcome to the Herd!

As for tools and such, you have a pretty good list. A couple of things.

I don't use a table top magnifier. Instead I went to the dollar store and bought a few different magnifying glasses. I just found the table top ones too bulky.

We all start with the bear minimums, Welcome to the herd. Just buy what you need- many a late night and a few beers plus searching ebay, I have found a must need modelling tool that I have never used. Ha Ha He Welcome again, hope you have fun with the forums. AJ aka CQModels

Latest posts

Back