Hello all!!

supapowah

Hello everyone, new scale modeler here ready to jump in and have some fun. Not the most experienced when it comes to painting so i look forward to the success and mistakes I'll make along the way. I did some paltry research and bought a kit that I was led to believe was beginner friendly. I purchased an Airfix Messerschmitt BF109E-4. Any advice for a beginner would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
" advice for beginners " is a really broad topic .
Ask as go with that BF-109 , or prior to starting .
You'll get plenty of input .

Hello everyone, new scale modeler here ready to jump in and have some fun. Not the most experienced when it comes to painting so i look forward to the success and mistakes I'll make along the way. I did some paltry research and bought a kit that I was led to believe was beginner friendly. I purchased an Airfix Messerschmitt BF109E-4. Any advice for a beginner would be much appreciated.
Hi and welcome to the forum. Just ask away and post pics to show us the issues.

You will find loads of friendly advice and help here. The main thing is to have fun. Pantherman

Welcome to the Herd, supahpowah! Sounds like a handle from New Yawk or Longgisland :)
I look forward to seeing pics of your build! What scale is your Messerschmitt?
Best regards,
Brad

It's 1/48 scale. And I'm formerly from New Yawk... now living in the Garden State.
Welcome to the Herd, supahpowah! Sounds like a handle from New Yawk or Longgisland :)
I look forward to seeing pics of your build! What scale is your Messerschmitt?
Best regards,
Brad

Welcome to the madness.
Look through the boards. Lots of information and help here.
I would not have advised a 1/48 Messerschmitt 109 for a first kit but if you take your time and do one step at a time you will be fine.
Remember it’s not the destination, it’s the journey.

Welcome to the madness.
Look through the boards. Lots of information and help here.
I would not have advised a 1/48 Messerschmitt 109 for a first kit but if you take your time and do one step at a time you will be fine.
Remember it’s not the destination, it’s the journey.
Any particular reason why you would not recommend this as a first kit? I'm not opposed to buying another kit if this one isn't beginner friendly. I bought the ME109 based off a YouTube video and nothing more.

Any particular reason why you would not recommend this as a first kit? I'm not opposed to buying another kit if this one isn't beginner friendly. I bought the ME109 based off a YouTube video and nothing more.
Some 1/48 aircraft kits can be somewhat difficult. I went over the build instructions last night and it’s not as complicated as I originally thought.
This should be a great first build.
And like Urumomo said “Any questions just ask”.

It's 1/48 scale. And I'm formerly from New Yawk... now living in the Garden State.
I'm in PA, Bethlehem.
I don't know where you are in Jersey, but if you're interested, there are 2 clubs you might like to visit.

One is the Delaware Valley Scale Modelers, based in Philly. We meet on the first Friday of the month, at Artisan's Hall on the Boulevard, 8100 Roosevelt Blvd. We just had our November meeting this past Friday, so the next meeting is on December 8. We have a build theme each month, in June we have a contest build, and in December, we have "Favorite Five"-bring 5 models to put out, and we have a "people's choice" vote. Everyone votes for their five favorite models.

The other is the Miniature Figure Collectors of America, MFCA. We meet on the last Sunday of the month at AAA Hobbies in Magnolia. We just had our October meeting on the 28th. We're skipping November and December for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so our next meeting will be in January. We stage an annual show, held at the Radisson-Philadelphia NE, just off the Turnpike and Route 1 in Bensalem. We use a Facebook group as a forum, too.

I know there are a couple of clubs in Jersey, and you're probably aware of those. NJIPMS, who stage MosquitoCon every year, and Central Jersey IPMS. There's an unaffiliated club, too, I think, that's based out of Tom's River, but I only know of it from friends who have participated there, too, so I don't know much more about the group.

Anyway, welcome to the Herd, and maybe we'll run into each other at one of the events here in the Mid-Atlantic!

Best regards,
Brad

I'm in PA, Bethlehem.
I don't know where you are in Jersey, but if you're interested, there are 2 clubs you might like to visit.

One is the Delaware Valley Scale Modelers, based in Philly. We meet on the first Friday of the month, at Artisan's Hall on the Boulevard, 8100 Roosevelt Blvd. We just had our November meeting this past Friday, so the next meeting is on December 8. We have a build theme each month, in June we have a contest build, and in December, we have "Favorite Five"-bring 5 models to put out, and we have a "people's choice" vote. Everyone votes for their five favorite models.

The other is the Miniature Figure Collectors of America, MFCA. We meet on the last Sunday of the month at AAA Hobbies in Magnolia. We just had our October meeting on the 28th. We're skipping November and December for Thanksgiving and Christmas, so our next meeting will be in January. We stage an annual show, held at the Radisson-Philadelphia NE, just off the Turnpike and Route 1 in Bensalem. We use a Facebook group as a forum, too.

I know there are a couple of clubs in Jersey, and you're probably aware of those. NJIPMS, who stage MosquitoCon every year, and Central Jersey IPMS. There's an unaffiliated club, too, I think, that's based out of Tom's River, but I only know of it from friends who have participated there, too, so I don't know much more about the group.

Anyway, welcome to the Herd, and maybe we'll run into each other at one of the events here in the Mid-Atlantic!

Best regards,
Brad
I know AAA hobbies very well actually. I live about 10minutes from AAA hobbies. I will check it out and most likely join the festivities come January. Thanks for the info. I will actually be stopping there on my way home from work today to grab some glue.

Welcome!!!! Lots of info here, dig around in the old posts. Post pictures as you build, we do like looking.
Advice?
1. Some kits you build, some build you.
2. If using tube glue, don't apply directly from the tube.;)

A good beginner/starter kit? Let’s see….
There are plenty of good WW2 aircrafts. Here are a few:

P-51 Mustang
Spitfire
Hurricane
P-47 Thunderbolt
P-40 Warhawk
Bf-109
Wildcat
Hellcat
A6AM Zero

Airfix are great kits for a beginner. Tamiya even better. They’re practically shake and bake right out of the box.

Welcome! Advice for a beginner... Hmm, let's see... Put that AIRFIX back in the box and pick up that same kit from TAMIYA first. You'll get the same plane with much less problems fitting together properly. The TAMIYA will be more detailed and usually won't have an AIRFIX problem and the problems I'm mentioning is what causes "new to the modelling" folks like yourself to sometimes throw a kit in the garbage and vow to never try that again.

Just advice. Others advice may vary.

Rob.

Latest posts

Back