Heller 1/72 Saab J29 "Tunnan"

Deadwax

Well, this is a late entry into the contest, but what the heck. I figure a 13 day deadline is probably the best way to actually make a start at building a kit as it has been decades. I haven't built a model in 30 years so have no expectations of winning anything, unless there is a booby prize for the most silver turd. LOL!

The kit is from 1978 and is a Heller 1/72 Saab J29 "Tunnan" or "Flying Barrel" as it was affectionately called. It is going to be a box stock build as there is no sense in my adding any aftermarket to my first build.

I recorded a video that kind of says the same stuff I said above. ;)

Intro To The Scale Modeling Community

Good luck man. That is one vintage jet. We will be watching you head to the finish line.

Good luck Mr Wax, or can I call you Dead?

A 13 day deadline is not the textbook way of easing your way back into the hobby, but I respect your big brass ones for doing so!

It looks a surprisingly good kit for its age, so should benefit from every minute available in those 13 days. I have a strange feeling that we should not expect a turd of any colour here, as I'm thinking we may get a surprise with this one.

The greatest of luck, my fine fellow. See you at the finishing line.

OK, time for an update.

I have the cockpit finished, even made a set of belts for it.

Attached are the reference images I was trying to do my best to replicate... with some creative license.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Now here is what I was able to come up with. Not really sure the belts are in scale but I think they work and I am happy enough with them for my first try.

I also was able to get the scratches in the canopy polished out and dipped them in future. No idea how that turned out as they are still in the drying stage. Once dry I will attempt to mask the cockpit. Not sure if I will use tape or bare metal foil. I will have to see which works out best.

I have all the pieces off the sprues, cleaned up and ready to go. So, assembly begins next, then filling, sanding, priming, paint, clear, decals, dull. Not sure I am going to make the deadline but am still pushing to get there.

...wish me luck! :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Assuming Canada has no coins the size of dinner plates, that's a nice looking tub, first try or not!

I think you're right with the belt's scale, but if they were too small you wouldn't see them. I like the scratch built buckles too, you are a braver man than I Mr Wax.

Re: masking the canopy ... there are plenty of different methods you can try (but don't try the Rhythm method .. I tried this once and it cost me more than a new canopy). Simplest is to use thin strips to outline the mask, then fill in the centres with more tape , Maskol etc.

Good luck with trying to reach the finish line. This is a kit you don't often see so is worthy of completion.

Cheers, Alan

Well, Good Luck and Welcome back to The Hobby!
Cheers,
Guido

Thanks for the warm welcomes and support everyone! It is appreciated. :)

I made an update video and it shows a few more stills at the end if anyone is interested.

Saab J29 Build Update

Theapplechap said:
I think you're right with the belt's scale, but if they were too small you wouldn't see them. I like the scratch built buckles too, you are a braver man than I Mr Wax.

The buckles were not easy, especially at that size, but a challenge that was well worth tackling. Thanks for the welcome and good luck with your Canberra!

Tailor said:
Well, Good Luck and Welcome back to The Hobby!

Thanks for the warm welcome and good luck with your Graf Spee!

Thank, man!
Enjoy the return to the hobby desk so far?
Cheers!

Hi, Mark! (...or is it Marc?)
I think it turned out really well. I can remember my first model after the chasing-girls-finish-school-get-a-job-get-a-family-gap was a total screw-up. You seemed to have enjoyed your build! That is good!
You can still use your Squardon putty, even if it has a shor open time. You can thin it down with styrene glue from Tamiya or Revell. Probably others will work, too, but I can vouch only for those two. You just take the needed amount of putty on a piece of cardboard and add the glue on top. Then stir with a toothpick or such. You can thin it down as much as you want.
Well done on your return to the best hobby in the world!
Guido

It's with a the 'k', Mark. Thanks for the tip about adding the Tamiya Ultra Thin to the Squadron putty. I will definitely try that next time I have to use it and hopefully it will make it open enough to be workable. So many little tips and tricks to learn after 30 years. There just were not resources like this when I was a kid... just imagine if there were!
Cheers Guido. :)

Latest posts

Back