HD MS-06F-2 ZAKU II F2

Black Sheep 1 said:
Ian said:
I like that polishing block A LOT. Did you make that or buy it?

Ian,

I bought this a while back when I started my subscription to Scale Aircraft Modeling.
http://www.guidelinepublications.co.uk/index.php?CATEGORY=5&SUB=1&THISPAGE=1&RADIOSORT=4&PICFILE=82&STKNR=82&STRH=4403&ORDN=5358&RNZ=311670

I have tried several sanding sticks from many manufacturers but this one seems to work the best.

I picked up a polishing block for nails at the dollar store for a couple bucks, and it works great! Thanks for sharing this tip!

Question for Gundam builders: If you're not painting the figure, how do you hide seams and sprue nubs?

I recently built this fella (my first and an older kit from 2009 I think) and even with scraping, sanding and polishing, the sprue cut points are still noticeable.

8305104981_5fccf5ab2f_o.jpg

If you can just cut it correctly and polish it a bit, they will be mostly gone, but honestly it's just easier to just dab a little bit of paint.

Top coating it will reduce the visibility of nub marks, but you'll have remove them cleanly to begin with. Don't use side cutters to close to a piece, shave down a nub with a razor, and then sand/polish it down. And a top coat over decals to finish it off. If you use side cutters too close to the plastic you get those white stress fracture marks. Sometime Gundam markers are good for little touch ups, but you have to have the right color, and at a couple dollars each that route can be pricey.

steezy said:
Don't use side cutters to close to a piece, shave down a nub with a razor, and then sand/polish it down. And a top coat over decals to finish it off. If you use side cutters too close to the plastic you get those white stress fracture marks.

I guess it all depends on the cutters.
I use Xuron cutters and I cut close, actually flush to the piece and never get those stress marks.
But even cutting close I still have to sand and polish.
With the Miracle Polisher block it's no big deal, just a matter of seconds.

Glad you liked the build. Gundams can be fun to build even if you know nothing about them.

Grendels said:
Glad you liked the build. Gundams can be fun to build even if you know nothing about them.

Yes, I was building Gundam kits long before I had ever seen any of the Anime'. I just love me some robots and mecha!!!

Latest posts

Back