Have you ever given up?

Little Cutie

Hello everyone. I bought an Airfix Maserati Merak (1979) model. This was about two years ago. I painted the body as it was moulded in yellow but I wanted the metallic gray. I was trying to dry over the stove and I got into a hurry and turned the burner up to high and it melted a little. I could smell styrene and before I knew what actually happened it was too late to fix it. I destroyed it by crushing it in my hands. It was still very warm when I did this. If I wasn't so impatient it would've worked as I have done this for years! However it's one of those things that you look back in embarrassment. I didn't get around to throwing the rest out until about two weeks ago. This is sent me on a search for a new kit. I just recently bought another for more than what I originally paid for the first one.

I guess that it's better that I did since the first one was only $18.50 when I bought it. But this kit was missing the decals, instructions, and who knows what else? The one I just got in the mail yesterday has EVERYTHING in it. Only the box is slightly warped but I didn't buy it for that. I gave up on the first car but now that I can have more time and it's not around the holidays I can relax a little bit. So I will take my time with this one.

I'm usually patient and do over and over again even until I feel humiliated!!! But this one I just couldn't bring myself to repair. Have you ever given up on a model for whatevever reason? DSCN3470.JPG

Last edited:

Quaralane

Given the circumstances, I totally understand giving up on the first one.
I've had to give up on some resin builds for similar reasons. It was the sun, and not the oven, but the effect was the same.
The resin got warped beyond repair.

Good to see that you have another one to work with.
I built one of those back in the late 80s

the Baron

Ich bin ja, Herr, in Deiner Macht
I've not given up on a build, but I have lost interest, which is pretty much the same thing. The build goes to the Shelf of Doom, only in rare cases to be picked back up again and finished.

It can be that I just don't feel like working on it, or I run into a technical hurdle and stop to think about it, or the kit isn't what I thought it was when I opened the box. Search the Ships forum and you'll find my USS Pennsylvania build. That's got a little bit of each of those reasons, and it's been sitting unfinished since 2010. I will probably jump-start it some day, because I don't like to start something and leave it unfinished. But I may die before that ever happens, too. You never know.

On the other hand, in my one club, we have an annual build theme, due by our December meeting. A couple of years ago, we decided to make the theme, "Shelf of Doom". You picked a SoD build and worked on it, to get it completed by the December meeting. That was such good motivation, that I wound up finishing 3 builds that had languished for a couple of years.

Little Cutie

That photo is of the car that I destroyed. I have the new(er) car still in the box yet. I don't usually give up on projects but I have lately - mostly because my health is bad.

t/adave

Due to work and personal responsibilities I gave up on the entire hobby for over 25 years. I also just lost interest. After retiring a few years ago I was arranging things in my garage and realized I had collected 72 kits in past years, some in a partial state of assembly but most untouched. I initially considered selling them but thought maybe I'd give building a try again. In the past year I've completed 6 kits all of which were the cheaper kits while re-honing my long dormant skills. I've now almost gotten to the point where a more challenging kit build is in the near future. I hope to soon post some pictures of my efforts. I think it's okay to give up for a while, chances are interest will return and the kit, or in my case the hobby will be as rewarding as ever.

Latest posts