Hasegawa's 1/350 Nagato with Lionroar

Thanks guys! have the main searchlight decks and high-angle gun controllers done this week. Please pardon the 8 pics, but due to size and placement difficulties of the pe and most of the railings, this was a most challenging section. I hope you like my searchlights! Cheers!

IMG_1284.jpg
IMG_1286.jpg
IMG_1288.jpg
IMG_1289.jpg
IMG_1297.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_1299.jpg
IMG_1301.jpg

Thanks for viewing my post -Tim

Mr C Numb,
I have nothing new to say,
i don't know any new words of praise in the english language that haven't been used already.

'Schpitze' (thats German)

The best ship build, i have seen EVER. EVER and thats a mighty long time.

Do you have to form the curves in the railings? If so how are you getting them so perfect? and they are perfect.

Gagsterman

Some of those curves you have for the railings look incredible, and the stair systems look so realistic.
Now I've got some questions.

Is this all one set of PE or multiple?
Are they all specifically for this ship?
How much is all that PE (whatever it is it's worth it)?
Do they make PE sets like this for most ships?
How many PE parts in total are going to be on this boat?

Thanks for putting this up. It's is ridiculously entertaining.

Myke said:
Is this all one set of PE or multiple?

Hi Myke, Rentar1, TRM and Gag!

Myke, thanks for asking; I'll tell you the whole story about the kit(s) and all that pe. It doesn't often happen that I get great deals on ANYTHING (except from Scott @ Elm City Hobbies of course, he got me off to a good start in the hobby with a good H&S airbrush, and paints, and glue, etc., but most of all good advice)

anyway, just after I started my Yamato I decided I wanted to do Nagato next, because it looked like a challenging kit build plus there was a huge assortment of PE avail for a 1/350 Nagato so I started looking around for deals, and after about 7 months, an ad appeared for some retailer in distress in Washington state who wanted to get $199 ea. for 2 of the Special Sets that Hasegawa had put together at one point and it included both Hasegawa PE sheets, the Battle of Leyte Gulf kit itself, the Hasegawa wood deck plus the the Complete Upgrade Kit! That kit usually goes for $450 - $525, so I grabbed both and with shipping it was $488. Then next month I sold one of them on ev*lbay to a guy in France of all places for $415US.

I wanted the Lionroar Superset as the main pe tho so I bought one of those from an online retailer for $165 and a little later there was another amazon ad for more of the Hasegawa PE sheets that looked to be priced wrong. they had 4 sets for $4.99 ea (instead of $49.95) with free shipping to boot! So I bought 2 of those. :) now, about that deal with the guy in France...to be continued shortly...

...so..anyway...I sent him the package via Canada Post and after it arrived in Belgium for EU clearing, it got waylayed somehow there and he didn't get it for a month but then it showed up at his house, perfect condition, but 3 weeks late so I refunded his shipping $65 and called it a deal.

So thats the story of how I ended up with a ton of nagato pe and there are a number of things that both companies do better than the other with their sets I found and there are many things in the Lionroar set that arent in the Hasegawa sets and vice versa, so thats why there is extensive pe on this model. Parts counts are listed as 1,070 for the kit plus I'll use 2,000-2,100 pe... with enough pe left over to a do a decent job on another one lol

long story huh? ;) -Tim

Oh my. You have got to be kidding me with all that shiny stuff. The movie Eraser Head was incomprehensible. This could be in the same category.
Go crazy son, go crazy!

Hi guys and thanks for your kind comments. I have the rear bridge superstructure done, it contains a major antenna array that was challenging...I had to build most of it upside down, as can be seen in the first picture. Your comments and suggestions are most welcome! -Tim

IMG_1310.jpg

Here is the rest of the rear-bridge nearly completed:
IMG_1322.jpg
IMG_1328.jpg
IMG_1329.jpg
IMG_1338.jpg
IMG_1345.jpg
IMG_1347.jpg
IMG_1357.jpg
IMG_1365.jpg

More great artistry Tim! Thaty mast is nuts! ;D

Two questions:
1. Is this all glue or are you soldering also?

2. Any chance of getting a pic of that structure with something next to it, like a paint bottle, for size reference? I thimk I've got a pretty good idea of the size but I'm sure it will be impressive. :p

Hi ShutterAce! No, I have never tried soldering, everything is glued that you see. Is the upside to soldering... strength or appearance? I could see how done properly, soldering would replicate welding better than glue, would it?

Here's a pic of the rear bridge i took earlier in assembly that has a standard Bic in them, as requested. Thanks for your questions! -Tim

IMG_1372.jpg
IMG_1373.jpg

Another great update!! Stunning to see such clean PE work!!

There is an upside to the soldering....strength! LOL....just I don't think it would really matter on this scale!! 1/35 and soldering a tool box or Pz. fender, yup!! But this delicate bridgework glue is the way!!!

Remind us again what you are using for glue to attach these, please!
Thanks for sharing Tim!! ;)

Unless he has switched products, I believe he is using a combination of Zap CA and Gator Glue.

Gator Glue is incoming at some point. I have ordered it, but apparently Gator is waiting on their magic ingredient to make a new batch.

Hi and yes Scott is right, except just as he has, I ran out of Gator awhile ago as well. The last two assemblies were done with Elmer's White Glue and ZapaGap Thin CA. I would often use both on the same part, as in putting together the 12.7 AA guns in the pic below. I would use a tiny bit of white glue to just hold the barrels in place well enough to then dab a drop of thin ca on the assembly, that would draw into the seams mostly and lock everything more or less into place.

IMG_0724.jpg

Hey Scott, let me know when you get that Gator in :) the white glue is ok, but i like the consistancy of the Gator product much better, especially when its fresh. I sometimes get distracted and leave the top off the Gator bottle and the product will, of course, start to get lumpy doing that over time.

Thanks for your question TRM. -Tim

this build is mind numbing the Details you are adding is crazy. great job.

Thanks for answering those questions mate. That is some serious cash you were dealing, but some incredible deals too!!

The lighter really put that into scale too, and the build is coming along brilliantly. Can't wait to see more.

Latest posts

Back