Hasegawa's 1/350 Nagato with Lionroar

ComfortablyNumb

Start of another IJN shipboard journey, this time with Hasegawa's 1/350 Nagato! I am using primarily the Lionroar superset, but will supplement with other pe and scratch as needed. Please find below my first post, this is going to be the Battle of Leyte Gulf version.

photo1g.jpg

nag711sssspack.jpg

for those not familiar, Hasegawa produced Nagato's hull with incorrect plating; the first two pics are corrections to the hull:

IMG_0797.jpg
IMG_0803.jpg

these are the turrets with pe AA gun platforms ready to be installed, and also the secondary guns parts
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0809.jpg
IMG_0812.jpg
IMG_0820.jpg

main 16" guns being assembled
IMG_0822.jpg
IMG_0824.jpg
IMG_0829.jpg
IMG_0846.jpg
IMG_0848.jpg
IMG_0852.jpg
IMG_0868.jpg
IMG_0871.jpg

pe double and triple AA's:
IMG_0873.jpg
IMG_0876.jpg
IMG_0773.jpg
IMG_0784.jpg

Thanks for viewing my post. Comments and suggestion welcome! -Tim

Hello Tim!! Ahhh, just comments from me dude...Absolutely no suggestions!! :eek: Another fine show of workmanship! Always a real pleasure to watch you put the shinny stuff together!! ;)

Awesome as per usual. Was actually thinking the other day that we haven't seen photos of this yet... and then today...poof...there it is!

Do I detect a little brown wash on those resin pieces?? Which leads me to believe that you are going to do what we discussed and not paint this one? Just let the brass PE and barrels show off the kit?

Hi Scott, and thank-you to those that have commented, its appreciated! Yes Scott, I haven't put in that many bench hours since last June with golf season and all, but now that the clubs are put away its time to get out the exacto knife and, judiciously and invariably, proceed to cut the bejesus out of my fingers. Cut myself twice last month lol

I think I will leave the brass unpainted this time, at least for awhile after finishing. I would like to see if the pe will tarnish/gray-out over time... but mostly just to satisfy my desire to build a model this way. I know it wont win anything because of the "incomplete" painting (even though this method of construction is more difficult with no paint to hide any mistakes) but I hope that it will look acceptable....you know, different but still nice...so we'll see I guess.

Nagato is going to be a l-o-n-g haul I think, well over a year...there are almost twice as many parts as on my Yamato and construction and assembly is going painfully slow, being so careful with the glue and all, but I am enjoying the marathon thus far.

Tim
ps -Scott, did your gator glue arrive yet? I

No Gator yet, supposed to be on the way, but will be a few weeks before I am over to retrieve anything again.

Speaking of Yamato....now that you have built the old one....you going to tackle the new one Tamiya has on the way??

Why is there no "edit" or "modify post" available on my first post in this thread now? All I see is a "quote" button....

**edit** well thats weird, the "modify post" option IS avail to me on this post, but not the first post in the thread or the one above.....can you only modify a post once here or something? anyway, its not important, but it would be nice to be able to add or move a pic to a post more than once. so, the last two pics in the above post should have been in this post, but I cannot move them now. anyway, no biggie I guess ;)

updates on the hull as it goes forward:

hull halfs painted before dullcoat is applied
IMG_0950.jpg

after matt finish dried, starting hull pe work:
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0962.jpg
IMG_0963.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg

Thanks for viewing my update, your comments and suggestions are welcome! -Tim

Hello again! Thank you all for the nice comments...its appreciated believe me!

... I will have a nice update in the next couple of days, but for now here is some of the detail I have been adding to the model (all portholes are now drilled and capped, for instance) ...the part below is held upside down to illustrate

IMG_1035.jpg
IMG_1040.jpg

**edit -sorry for fuzziness of pics, camera is about 1 inch from subject and I do not have a macro lense, my apologies

Comments and suggestions are most welcome! Thanks for viewing my post. -Tim

Just some updates from December work.

IMG_1070.jpg

-ditched the side marker lights kit parts and made some with clear styrene tube drilled out slightly on the bottom with paint inserted into the drilled hole, then dunked in Future floor polish:
IMG_1044.jpg
IMG_1050.jpg
IMG_1054.jpg

additional detail added to superstructure base and portholes drilled and capped:
IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1060.jpg

prop parts:
IMG_1066.jpg

rudder detail:
IMG_1057.jpg

I will have more pics in the next day or two of the finished and joined hull and also the next superstructure level...thanks for viewing my post and comments and suggestions, as always, are welcome! -Tim

Latest posts

Back