Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D

After about ten days of frustration, anger, cussing, and even some blood shed here is an update.

Work continues on the radio equipment. As it stands now much of the fabrication is done. Cables were added by using a larger diameter wire and fitting it into the structures. This was nearly the end of this build. In the end it works and looks decent. Again this is not to be a 100% accurate replica, just a relative imitation.

Radio-Equipment-1_zpslqqgb9kn.jpg

I need to add a few more bits and bobs but for the most part I am near the point I can start to tackle the cockpit. The seat frame is off a bit but I am not sure I can fix it. I may go with this for this build and then do a better job on the next.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Thank you. I really do think anyone can do this type of thing. I think most would do it better.

Joe

Ya know Joe, pretty soon you're going to have to put a working motor in one of these and take it up for a ride! Great work as usual Brother!!

Cheers, Ski.

And watch as it rolls into the ground in a oily black smoke and fireball, nah.

Many thanks my friend.

Joe

You sell yourself short Bro, never consider failure before the fight, or flight, as in wingy dingy flight!

Cheers, Ski.

Ten steps backwards and then one forward.

Had some big issues trying to get this mocked up for pictures this time. Something was wrong. I had a hard time putting my finger on it. After much frustration and in a fit of anger I removed all the parts (not so gently) and then got down to the basics. After some study I noticed the firewall was glued off kilter. i separated and then reglued and what do you know it seemed to work.

So after the big mess I again used white glue to mock up what little progress I have.

The sidewalls of the fuselage are coming together. This was the original progress I wanted to show. The radio equipment and fuel tank still seem off to me. A couple of pictures just to show the rework. I did take the opportunity to rework the seat as well.

Mock-Up-3_zpsztpys8qp.jpg

Mock-Up-4_zps1onbqr3j.jpg

Now make no mistake I have more work to do on the pit. I also have an alternative to the copper wire that I tried to use. But I really believe that this time I can progress without the setback.

Joe

Astounding work. That radio looks very similar to what I've found online. If it is a mock up, I would change some of the wires, they look a bit too wide to me. I'll be following this build, keep it up!

Many thanks. The wires look too big to me as well. I have an alternative and going to try it. Many thanks.

Joe

Progress is progress no matter how small.

Today I can show a little progress.

Paint has been thrown at the work so far. This does not mean I am ready to close it all up but it is a significant step as I am getting close to the point where construction turns into finishing.

All the interior parts have been painted including the interior of the fuselage and the flooring/bulkheads. The copper wire is gone and an alternative is now fit. Nothing is glued though.

Mock-Up-6_zps15xqh4tr.jpg

I also jumped the gun just a little but I wanted to see what the fuselage would look like with the paint. Alclad Airframe Aluminum over Gloss Gray.

Mock-Up-5_zpstkrgbnda.jpg

Next up will be to finish up all the little construction, just a few things left. Final touches and then I will look to the engine compartment. Bad news I am afraid though. The kit did not come with anything resembling engine mounts.

Oh Boy.

Joe

Well my friends after a month or better of inactivity here I am again.

Just a quick update showing a mock up of the engine and the little work I have done.

I have mocked up a couple of engine mounts and worked a bit on some of the pipping and the oil tank.

Mock-Up-7_zpsx9smhz6q.jpg

And how it looks in the fuselage.

Mock-Up-8_zpsce7yybws.jpg

Still a ton to add to the engine and the engine compartment but it is a start.

Joe

Fantastic work mate. I haven't done a great deal of scratch building myself, but seeing your work is deffinately inspiring!

Chris

A quick update on the Mustang.

Paint has flown on the engine. Yes progress has been made. There have been some issues along the way and I do need to do some touch up on some pieces. I also managed to break off a few parts. All in all though not a big deal.

The engine got a coat of Gloss Black, the headers Flat Black, the exhausts were given the Alclad treatment with Polished Aluminium and then Model Master Metalic Burnt Iron. The firewall is Model Master Zinc Chromate Yellow, the oil tank is finished in Dark Aluminium.

I need to fix some of the small wires and such prior to getting it all into the fuselage.

Mock-Up-10_zpswjvs3j7q.jpg

Mock-up-11_zpsy3a1hx6z.jpg

And then with everything mocked up.

Mock-Up-9_zpsijkeebnd.jpg

Moving right along.

Joe

Folks it is all starting to really come together.

The last few days have been all about the little stuff and getting them and the interior ready for installation.

The attachment point for the radio antenna is done and attached to the seat. Other than the gunsight, piece of crappy plastic it is, everything is ready for installation.

Mock-Up-12_zpswblqyrjz.jpg

The landing gear, nose cone, prop blades, and other assorted misc parts are nearing completion.

Landing-Gear_zpsmdb6pkvv.jpg

The next step for me will be to get everything into the fuse and close it up. My next update may well be the last until the article is given a yes or no. All in all this has been interesting to say the least.

A brief rant. To go along with the molded on flaps and rudder this piece that is to represent the gunsight is absolutely the worst attempt I have seen. It resembles neither the D-9 sight nor the K-14 sight used in the Mustangs. What a disappointment some of this has been.

Ah well........Onward.

Joe

Big progress to update.

The fuselage is closed, the wings are on.

That is the good news, the bad is I need to repair a ton of stuff as I had to use a major amount of force to be able to get the wing into place. Blasted thing fought me the whole time. I ended up removing a couple of parts, breaking some of the stringers off of the cut wing, splitting the fuselage, and assorted small stuff. I also had a misfire with a clamp that made my one piece tail wheel assembly into a three piece assembly that I had to pin together again.

Good lord that was a lot of work to get the wing on.

After all that I commenced to touching up the painting of the fuselage with Gloss Gray and then Alclad Airframe Aluminium.

So here is where it stood at the beginning of my session today.

Mock-Up-14_zpsdmikey55.jpg

Mock-Up-13_zpspwc228ns.jpg

Today was spent working on the landing gear and more touch up on the fuselage. Through the course of the upcoming week I will need to repair the wing and make sure all is good.

Joe

Latest posts

Back