Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D

fightnjoe

i keep turning up....just like a bad penny....
This is the second project on my bench at the moment.

Borrowed from the Hasegawa site

Box%20Art_zpsroceliq1.jpg

This is intended to be a cut away project and it is intended for attempted submission to a magazine.

More on this build to follow. I hope you enjoy the ride.

Joe

After seeing what you managed with the 109 and the B-17, I'll definitely be watching this one

No kidding the other two were awesome and I am sure this one will be just as awesome.

Humbled, thank you. You are very kind.

I hope I can live up to the kind words.

Joe

First cuts.

Over the last day or so it has been Dremmel and Exacto time.

The most frightening moment of a build like this is that first cut. After that there is no turning back.

Mock-Up-2_zpsieqrphmz.jpg

And the cuts.

Mock-Up-1_zpsqrwlbkny.jpg

I am going where the feeling takes me at this point. I think the wing will be first up. Going to tackle it a bit different.

Till next time.....

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe

Wing work has started.

Over the last couple of weeks I have spent some time getting the wing and its components ready to go.

Wing-Frame-1_zpsbankgqda.jpg

I have also worked on the fuel cell for the wing.

Fuel-Tank-1_zps2nfuuwiv.jpg

Started the stringers and the gun bay/ammo bin.

Joe

Well folks time to bore you with another brief status update.

Color on the wing framework. Color on the fuel tank. Work on the gun bay and start up on the .5 cals in the wing.

I went with Yellow Zinc Chromate

Wing-Frame-2_zpsodcixtph.jpg

I know not much. Kind of boring. I have stalled trying to figure out the color to use. I went with my best guess and what was logical.

All comments, critiques, and comments are encouraged.

Joe

Many thanks. As my stash is almost exclusively WW2 prop stuff that may be a while in coming.

Joe

A brief update.

Been kind of out of the loop for a few weeks. Fires in the area have thrown a great deal of smoke up and that has caused me some issues. If you have not done so lately when you see one of the folks who risk injury or worse to fight fires, thank them. They do not get the praise that they truly deserve.

Took me three weeks to get these to this point. To be honest I am not completely happy with the way they look.

The flaps.

Flaps-1_zpsz83zvu5i.jpg

Next up is to try to detail the gun bay a bit and then maybe paint.

With rain finally and some cooler days and nights hopefully I can get back to feeling decent and get back to the bench more often.

Joe

The detail in that is fantastic, Joe.

I tried to build one of these years ago. It ended up in the bin, but I had a Paragon resin cockpit in it that I salvaged and still intend to use in the future.

Looking just fine to me, Joe.
Way better than anything I could put together like this

Here I am again.

Just a quick update on where the P-51D is at the moment.

I have begun on the interior.

I began by rough cutting the interior bulkheads for the area aft the cockpit.

Interior-1_zpszwunwn1x.jpg

From there I went to starting the detail work. Beginning with the frame work for the SCR 522 A, I also fabricated the fuel tank which lies behind the cockpit.

Interior-2_zps9uv1ur9v.jpg

The wing is near complete. The only thing left to do is the cables for the wing guns.

Wing-Frame-3_zpslabvixhg.jpg

I also played just a bit with the color as I want it to appear. In the picture below you will see three plastic spoons. The one on the left is Testors Gloss Black, the one in the center is Rustoleum Gloss White, and the one on the right is Testors Gloss Gray. They are all three sprayed with Alclad Airframe Aluminium. After several days of consideration I will be going with the Gloss Gray as the undercoat. It just looks better to me.

Paint-Profiles_zpsxsqrefdw.jpg

Next up is to work some on the radio equipment.

All comments, critiques, and comments are encouraged.

Joe

Work on the interior continues.

Todays update will show the work on the radio equipment (SCR 522 A) as well as the work on the pilot seat.

First, here is the kit version of the radio equipment.

Cockpit-Mockup-1_zpsg2orafav.jpg

And now what I have done. This is not complete but I would say the radio equipment is about 70% complete.

Cockpit-Mockup-2_zpsnce98tao.jpg

I will be continuing to work on this over the next couple of days and then I will move on to the remaining bits aft the cockpit.

Joe

Latest posts

Back