Hasbro Snowspeeder

Hey, I'm back.
Crawling out from under the proverbial rock to hit the bench again.
I think I burned myself out a little on the model building, but I took the summer off and I'm ready to jump back on the wagon. Like Lindsay Lohan and a bag of meth, if it's in the house...it's gonna get built.

So, I had gone digging through some boxes and found my son's old Star Wars toys..now..I did brainwash him from youth to be a fan of the original trilogy, he was always a bit more into Power Rangers. So, the SW stuff was always secretly for me so I could have something to fight against the power rangers with.
Anyway, fast forward to today...
I stole my toys back and I'm going to play with them they way I want to, NYAH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWhr4DJ6Hg8

Let me know what y'all think, and more on this one next weekend.

One more before the weekend was out. And my first lame attempt at a tutorial. It's shaky, poorly edited, low res and you don't learn very much. But I get the grill on the back of the Snowspeeder done.
Now, I've asked around and I think I'm going with the gray stripe on this one. I was going to do the Orange stripe but I'm not sure if that was correct for Luke's Rogue 1.

Nice idea with the soot. I understand exactly what it is you are trying to do with it. Is it real soot, or a pigment?

It's real soot.
It can be a bit problematic at times...and you can get too much on there..case in point my Hasbro A-Wing. Granted I was going for the heavy weathered look, but it came out a little strong.
I may grab some charcoal pastels and just grind them up to get some color variation in my finishes.
The Thunderchild came out lookin good. Did you you ever get a final gallery of it done?

I have thought about using ground up charcoal bricks for weathering, might give it a try after your video. The thunderchild is close to done. Decals are done, it is clear coated, I need to fix a few spots where the clear coat got a tiny bit thick, and make a stand. Work is at a peak right now and it has slowed down my model building.

Okay, One more for this weekend. Weathering is just about done..I think this one came out a bit colorless, but oh well. All I have to do now is add some scratches and dings and add the window in the cockpit and then I can seal this baby up again and start running around the house with it..

Now, All I have to do is score the new giant AT-AT and the fun starts.

I have been thinking about your build. For some it is building, and for others it is paint. I take it you love painting more than building? Nothing wrong with that, to me painting is the most challenging part.

You're absolutively posilutely correct.
Building the kit is just the formality of getting to the paint stage. Most times, I have things almost fully painted and weathered before the build is done..then go crazy trying to keep the finish spotless.
But this last year, I've learned that I've got to slow down a bit on my builds..it's the only thing really that keeps me from placing in any real model contests.

Looks pretty good.
And I know what you mean about needing to slow down the build process

The only thing we can do is work on the parts that we are not confident about. Too bad both of you don't live closer, I bet we could teach each other a lot. Although ScreamingSamuraiStudio I think you are a two hour drive from me.

Hey, I am just down I-10 from you. You know, every once in a great while I head out there for the occasional art show. One of these days it would be great to learn some real lighting tips. I don't know what knowledge I could impart on you but one of these days...
But back to this toy..errrrr..scale model..snowspeeder. This one is just about done and my son was kind enough to shoot the video and edit this up in iMovie...I would do the same, but who has time??
Anway, I still have to add the windows and it looks a bit monochromatic but oh well..this one falls into the category of "Close Enough For Me"

As I have told you in the past, I will be more than glad to help out with lighting any time.

I don't think it is that monochrome. I bet your camera doesn't do her justice.

You might find it monochrome because all of us remember snowspeeders with orange stripes.
But Luke's one had grey stripes.

Well, I think it may be too monochromatic for me, since I'm used to throwing on as much color as I can, or at least adding some amount of flair on it that doesn't involve little buttons with cute catch phrases. But I think you're right, Exar. Maybe the orange stripe would have boosted the color on this one..but then i would have to go out and track down a Hoth Wedge and Janson, or a Zev figure and whoever he had in his backseat.
Small update on this one. I took some packaging material..the clear acetate that most products come boxed in and cut out some windows for the snowspeeder and compared to the old scratched up fogged clear plastic canopy..this acetate looks absolutely stunning. Anyway, a video on that bit later and a quick look at some other garage store finds and a B-wing I got for cheap on Ebay.

Don't get me wrong, samuraï, i didn't say orange would have been better ;)
Well... in fact, it would, but i was just saying if you want to be accurate and make Luke's T-47, you have to go with grey.

Curious to see what you did with the canopy, so see you soon.

You know...I tell my girlfriend that the B-Wing is to sell on Etsy and Ebay.....but it's really for me. I'm just betting on the fact that no one is going to even buy it.
I think I just burned myself out on Star Trek and the whole restricted aspect of it all when it comes to the other Trek builders out there on other forums..I won't mention any names, but Starship Modeler I'm looking in your direction.
But I like the little niche I found for myself here with the Action Figure Vehicles...for Twenty Bucks you get a more substantial canvass to work with...and since I hate the whole formality of building the darn kit, I can at least work on some of my filling and seam work with these to really bring them to life.
And I also plan to light them all up. So, Grendels, you can expect a ton of the same questions over and over again...ie..I turned it on and it melted, what the hell do I do now? or, How do I get it off the neighbor's roof??

And yeah, Exar...I'm pretty happy with the result..If I get another one, I'm definitely doing the Orange Stripe..IF I can score the corresponding figures..probably Wedge and Wes Janson.
But you know...I went a little crazy on Ebay this week and if all goes as planned..I should be getting two Jedi Starfighters, A couple of the sky cars from Attack of the Clones and a ton of figures to go with an Echo Base Diorama and a Royal Naboo Fighter..Oh and an Arc-170..all for about 60 bucks with shipping.

So, that's it..the bank card is going to be confiscated once my girlfriend gets back from California.

Later, a wrap up video on the Snowspeeder and a look at the bench in a couple of days.

peace.

Latest posts

Back